Author Topic: Pinclanty Mill, Barr, Ayrshire -does it still exist?  (Read 5262 times)

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pinclanty Mill, Barr, Ayrshire -does it still exist?
« on: Tuesday 12 March 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
In my quest to illustrate my family tree I need to find an image of Pinclanty Mill or its former site. I googled it and found a Pinclanty cottage. On the 1881 census where my relative Thomas Gordon [wool spinner]lived and was employed was clearly the Pinclanty mill which is the household  after Pinclanty cottage.

The order of Households is Clashnacry [ 18acre farm], Woodlea Cottage, Merkland [70 acre farm], Pinclanty cottage, Pinclanty Mill.

Any assistance at finding the building/ ruin or site would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Pinclanty Mill, Barr, Ayrshire -does it still exist?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t5a/

The Mill is shown as disused on later maps.

ev

Added - looking at the overlays for modern maps I think the Mill was sited towards the back of the cottage -

http://scotland.olx.co.uk/pictures/pinclanty-mill-cottage-iid-282079705
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ev.
I will try find the later map with Mill ruins . Not sure which of the two Pinclanty Mills he lived and worked at as they are both fulling Mills and he was a wool spinner/weaver.Anyhow thats the perfect information for me to go on a summer outing to get some photos of the area around the site. Many thanks indeed. BTW what a great site this is  :)
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harriet,
Can't help you with the Mill question, but I have too a connection to the Gordon family of Barr. Comes in with Isabella (Isabal, Isobel) Gordon who married Thomas McAughtrie in Barr,1792, and they are my 5th great grandparents. I have an old family document, with good BMD info on these families! 

Barr is such a beautiful Village, with a rich family history for me. I visited there a number of years ago, have put several of my own photos including headstones) on a CD , and I have some typed family information, BMD, Census, stuff like that. think I still have a clean copy somewhere anyway, without my scribbles all over it! Very happy to share if you are interested!

Tucked away somewhere, I also have a book which has some old photo restorations of Barr Village, I'll have a look in there to see if there's any sign of the mill.  I also love to add photos to my tree, brings some real life to them!!

Happy to answer any questions if I can.  I may even have a few for you too!

If you would like to PM me your email address, I can email you what I have!

Cheers
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
I've just found a clean copy of my Barr McAughtrie family with the Gordon connection on it.
I'll need to try and scan it tomorrow, then I can email it to you! There may also be some references to the Gordon connection on some photos I took in the Cemetery at Barr Village, so I'll check those as well, I have them on a CD ....SOMEWHERE..... :)

Cheers
Jeanne😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
Archaeological report concerning the two mill sites gives a little bit about how they were connected.

http://www.wosas.net/wosas_site.php?id=51499

S_L

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a corn miller and he wrote a number of articles on corn mills in Ayrshire.  This is what he said about Pinclanty Mill:-
Following the river (Stinchar) down for fully a mile and a half we come to Pinclanty Mill close on the Stinchar south bank.  Robert Alexander of Corsclays was retoured in the following lands in 1658;  the three pound land of Kirkandlie and Balibeg; the two merk land of Vicartoun, the forty shilling land of Lommochie; the merkland of Lagengill; the merk land of Corseclays; the forty shilling land of Drummoir; the forty shilling land of Pinmore  and Lagansaroch; the two-merk land of Cairnquhin, the corn mill of Pinclanty with the slamon fishing in the Stinchar, and the merk land of Pinclanty.  This mill was doing a little milling up to some time in this century (20th) when it was finally closed.  Tenant in 1851 was John Carswell and in 1868, Matthew McWhirter.  The Mill was in the parish of Colmonell.
Sorry it's not a lot of information.   Might be worth checking the valuation rolls for the mill.  The NLS maps are excellent for searching http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400170  Pinclanty mill is slightly south west of the centre of the map.  There is a variety of other maps on the NLS site so you may be able to find a better one.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 May 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Harriet,  try this site,   

http://www.geograph.org.uk/of/Barr

Skoosh.

Offline Chr1smac22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harriet - On Scotlands Places you will find the info for the Mill and the link to the OS map

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/nls/1962/ordnance-survey-six-inch-mile-ayrshire-sheet-lxii/os6inch   

Ayrshire OS Name Book Volume 11 page 55 - now a free site .
Cheers
Christine