Author Topic: The Home, Whalley Road, Moss side  (Read 1515 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Home, Whalley Road, Moss side
« on: Tuesday 12 March 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have a death cert for my 2x gt grandfathers,  wife, who died in The Home, Whalley Road, Moss Side, Manchester she died of Cebral Heamorrage aged 42, in 1931

does anyone know what this place was and is it still there,and where to find records on the place.  im trying to find out why she would be there when she lived in Leeds and is buried in Leeds, her burial records say the same place too.

Kind regards

weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Home, Whalley Road, Moss side
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Weenie,

If you look on the Manchester Local Image Collection, there is a photo of 'The Home' on Whalley Road. It was attached to St Joseph's Hospital
http://images.manchester.gov.uk/AdvQuery.php   

If you google St Joseph's Hospital, Whalley Range, you get a lot of interesting hits. As it was originally run by the sisters of St Joseph, I don't know where archives might be - Salford Catholic Diocese?

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 09:15 GMT (UK) »
The Spire Private Hospital is now on the site of the former St Joseph's Hospital

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou both of you, am going to have a nosey round now i know what name it was under

Thanks again
Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Weenie,

Did you have any luck in your search for the Home?

I've come across a death record for my family that occurred at their own home, yet Anne Slattery of The Home was present at the death and was the informant.

Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
i havent found anything to why she was there  ???

just one of the brick walls i will hopefully knock down

weenie