Author Topic: Jersey Baptism Look Up Request - Elizabeth Holman 1850  (Read 8171 times)

Offline jrranfor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey Baptism Look Up Request - Elizabeth Holman 1850
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I clicked on the link.  Do I have to create an account to view the database?

Offline eastender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
No, just click on Jerripedia family records database at the bottom of the page.
It is a new database and not complete, so "a work in progress". I had a quick look and there are no HOLMANs there, but you could try alternative, similar names (there is a button to check for names "starting with "

But I just looked at the site again and I don't have access any more  ??? . Strange. Perhaps I got lucky or they are now doing 'house-keeping' -I don't know now. Maybe try again later?
Wocha, Vocha, Vautier, Dehais, Delahayes, Horsburgh, Lucas, Roe, Vaughan, Rosser, Tully, Osborn, Dick. Huguenots.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Apart from St Helier the records on Jerripedia go up to 1842 when civil registration began. If Elizabeth was born c1850 then her baptism will not be on the site.

There are several Holmans on the Jersey Archive site, sadly none with Christian names corresponding to your family, although there may be a relationship.

To find Elizabeth's birth/baptism the registers and indexes would need to be physically searched in Jersey. I am away at the moment but could do it when I return.

Offline jrranfor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear la grande-méthe,

Thank you so much for your offer of help.  If it is not too much trouble for you, I would very much appreciate obtaining the information from the register.  :)

My best,

Jennifer

Offline pkay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 October 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
hi jennifer
elizabeth holman born on jersey is part of my family tree.  johanna holman - daughter of joseph and johanna holman and sister to elizabeth  - was my great grandmother's mother.  great grandmother johanna marie fourneau - thomas forneau was johanna's husband/partner.  i have done a lot of research on the family and would be happy to contact u again.  i have just come back from a holiday on guernsey and sark and as always have done more family research.  i believe joseph holman was a blacksmith but went to sark from cornwall -
to work on the silver mining project on little sark in 1840s and then when that failed he moved the family to alderney where they lived until emigrating to canada.  not all the family left though as you probably know.
 :)

Offline jrranfor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Pkay :)

I am so happy to hear from you. We do indeed seem to have family trees that cross.  Joseph Holman (born 1828) was my 3 x great grandfather and the brother of Johanna Holman (Fourneau) born 1830 in Camborne.  Joseph Holman (1828) had a son William Thomas (born on Alderney in 1850).  William Thomas had a son, Joseph Thomas born 1878 who was my great grandfather.  I have done extensive genealogical research on the Holmans, particularly after their immigration to Canada.  I have pictures of Joseph, Edward and Nicholas Holman (Johanna's brothers) and have several letters that Joseph and Johanna Holman wrote while living in the Channel Islands to their children who had already  immigrated to Canada.  I do not, however know a lot about Johanna Holman (Fourneau).  I would love to exchange info and find out what you have uncovered during your visits to the Channel Islands!!  What is the best way to connect outside of this forum (via our email addresses)?  I look forward to hearing from you.

My best,

Jennifer 

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 October 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Well, I really must apologize, it's never taken me 18 months to get round to doing a look-up before! We were away for several weeks last year and by the time we got back I'd completely forgotten about it.

Elizabeth was born on May 15th, 1849 in the Faldouet district of St Martin. Her father, Joseph, was a blacksmith and her mother was Johanna Thomas.

Offline jrranfor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 October 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear la grande-méthe,

Many thanks for looking up this information for me - I truly appreciate it!!!  Elizabeth had an interesting, albeit short, life  - immigrating to Canada in the 1860s, then immigrating to the US in 1883 only to die at the age of 34 that same year giving birth to her fifth child.  Do you know if there is somewhere I could request a (electronic) copy of her entry in the register?

Very warm regards,

Jennifer

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Try the Jersey Archive - www.jerseyheritage.org - they may be able to help. The only other option is to apply to the Registry Office for a copy of her birth certificate which will cost you £20.