Author Topic: Do you like it?  (Read 7864 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do you like it?
« on: Monday 06 June 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was given this picture today by my mum, she is the one with the bonnet -- It was just begging to have some colour put in it.  To me the colour balance is just right
What do you think?

PSP9 rocks

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline wellie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
It looks good to me
Regards
Wellie
Wellavize- Wellavise- Willavize - Willavise - willavoys all area's

Offline ChrisPage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

It looks good. I have only tried repairing photos and its amazing what a difference it makes.

Regards Christine
Mathew/Mathews - Tipperary
Matthews - Dublin
Langron - Dublin
Davies - Galway and Sligo
Doyle - Dublin and Wicklow
Trafford - Ireland ?

Page - Balham/Wandsworth
Champion - Clapham/Wandsworth
Lang - Guernsey
Pitcher - Guernsey

Docwra - Royston Hertfordshire/Chelsea London
Burgess - Chelsea and Pimlico
Hession - Mayo Ireland
Pateman - Litlington Cambridgeshire
Norman - Clerkenwell, Islington and Fulham

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 20:55 BST (UK) »
Ken

How did you colour it. Do you do it in layers and if so how do select the area for the layers?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

As I use PSP9 it may be different from Adobe PS

Again it is an easy task to do the more I practice the better the results but getting the colours right is the hard bit.

First thing I do on any picture is greyscale it, repair it then increase colour depth to 16 million, next using the freehand Lasso button draw round the object to colour.

Then in Layers - New adjustment Layer - Colour balance, play around with the colours under adjustment and general. I just have to make sure the Opacity is down below 50 or you get that flouro glow.

My first attempts were terrible, but I am now working with a lot more confidence, I am like yourself new at it, I have only been doing this for about 3 months and just love doing the restoration.

I am sure deadants has a tutorial for Adobe 

Regards
Ken     

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Ken
Thanks for the info. This is only my 3rd week, the 1st week I was on leave and had loads of time to play but now I am back at work full time I can only have an hour or so each day.

I asked the question because when I zoomed right in you don't get the awful edges that I am still getting. I have corrected it by reducing the opacity below 65 and using colour rather than normal. For the layers I have gone back to fill layer rather than adjustment layer. I can't decide which is best.

Although our programs are different I am sure the process is similar but the headings may vary slightly. I will continue with Photoshop elements 3 for a while as I am getting to know it better with practice.

I can't work out what to do with gradient layers. Now I have had a play I think it is time that I got an instruction manual. I didn't bother at 1st as it wouldn't have meant anything but now I may just understand what it is saying.

I follow your progress with interest so keep posting and by the weekend I may have finished another 'masterpiece' and will post it for constructive criticism.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
 What a great photo.  I guess it was taken during WW ll. You have still got some work to do on this one. I tried to add the yellow to the hammer and sickle and found the greyscale was very limited. But I pushed and pulled the curves till it kind of looked yellow. I think it’s the little details that make it look more believable.

Jane you should get a good book to get your teeth into. There is no shortage of them out there.  Also this forum might be of interest to you. http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/
also check this site. http://www.photoshopsupport.com/elements/index.html

It is for Photoshop Elements users and they are asking and getting answers you are asking at the moment. It may be worth a look.

I will be coming and going over the next few days as I have a job on that is a bit of a challenge and I have been concentrating my time on it. So don’t worry if I don’t reply straight away. Hopefully next week things will be back to normal.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants

Yep you are right, I had problems putting some colours into the picture but my idea and thoughts behind this finished picture was. It was a 60 year old picture so the colours would look washed out and slighly over exposed and not crystal clear and sharp.

;D thats my excuse and I am sticking with it  ;D but still always learning.

Regards
Ken

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 June 05 16:23 BST (UK) »
Ken

I think the picture looks great.  I am getting increasingly jealous each time I see one of your pictures, but they have pushed me to have a go.  I have only had one go so far - not too good - but I am determined to catch you up - eventually!

Regards
Sandie

Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright