Author Topic: Giles Carter & Hannah (Ann) Wells  (Read 4051 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Giles Carter & Hannah (Ann) Wells
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 March 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

They  may not have even been in England in Census 1841 (but were definitely in Australia by July 1842).

The 1841 Census rounded ages down to nearest 5 years (or was supposed to).  From what I can glean,  we have no real idea of when they were born in the first place (and I'm considering Gile's age at death when I say this - ages on death certs are often wrong). Even if they were in England in 1841 and not with each other but at parents' houses, we have no idea who those parents might be or where.  Also, the 1841 did not record marital status or relationships.

I'm also going to ask re:  Hannah/Ann WELLS. Where did the 'Hannah' come from? Is the Hannah CARTER who died age 50 in Victoria 1868 proven to be Giles' wife? I cannot find a marriage registration for Giles marrying 2nd wife Ann SMITH in Victoria - did they marry there?

Finding them on a ship may be nigh on impossible - I've looked at some of the online lists for NSW and Victoria, and a lot of Mr Carter, Mr G Carter, Mrs Carter entries etc. No way to tell from that, unfortunately, more so if they travelled without children. The only thing you can narrow down at present is the time frame from  Dec-ish 1840 to 15 Jul 1842.

I wonder if putting a topic on the AUSTRALIAN board here at RC might help fish out more about Giles and Ann?  Lots of great chatters on there with access to all sorts of data and true local expertise. If you do that, a link to this topic for background info and to ensure no search double-ups would be needed.

To order & pay for the 1841 marriage certificate (can all be done online):
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Use the GRO reference that was listed on FreeBMD for Giles, not for Ann!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 13 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Re: The Arlingham Giles CARTER.

I'd say he is likely to be this man buried in Arlingham in 1875:

Memorial Inscription
Giles CARTER of this parish
s/o William & Ann CARTER of Puckpool
15 October 1875, 77
Ann, widow of Giles CARTER 9 November 1901, 76
http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Arlingham/MIs.html>

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Katherine Growse

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 May 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I am a descendant of the said Giles Carter and Ann Wells you are referring to.  My great-great-great- grand mother was Elizabeth Carter born in eighteen forty two.  I have been searching for information on the pair for about 20 plus years and have found it extremely difficult.  I have a copy of there wedding certificate if you are interested.  I am currently in Jakarta, Indonesia and can't get a copy for you.  I will be returning in about 6 weeks to Melbourne and would be happy to give you a copy then.

Katherine Growse

Offline Boogyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 December 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katherine,   I am the GG Grandson of Giles Carter,, via his first born George Henry... who was your GGG Grandmothers older brother.

Would love to compare notes...    so feel free to email me directly on     milton.purcell@nec.com.au

Regards   Milton

Offline Boogyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Curious if this thread had progressed anywhere  ?   Giles is my 5th GGrand.   FYI.. reason George shows born NSW  and reg in Melb is because until 1851  Melb was a colony of NSW..  He was actually born Merri Ck..  Melb

Keen to touch base with any Carter researchers in Oz..

Cheers  Milton