Author Topic: Eliza McAndie born Slackbuie 1888 lived at 22 Barron Court, Huntly in 1981.  (Read 6850 times)

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find out more about the above Eliza. She marries John Grant a general labourer aged 28 on 15th January, 1909 at Slackbuie (her home I think) Boharm. His father is given as Andrew Grant a Blacksmith and his mother Ann Forbes deceased. John's address was Clachnawarren, Boharm. in the 1911 census he appears there as the grand nephew of Jessie Dougharty. I cannot find Eliza on that census at all. They must have had a son John as I have a picture of Eliza with a young boy called John. I cannot find any later trace of John Grant whom she marries and I wonder if he died during WW1. I did eventually find a death certificate for an Elizabeth McAndie with the other names of Gibson and Stronach. Eliza on her birth certificate is just that Eliza, but the age on Elizabeth's death certificate in 1983 in Huntly is aged 94 years which would be right for Eliza born in 1888.
I know of her address in Huntly as she wrote my late aunt from there and I was given the letter but I have no idea as to her surname then.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza McAndie born Slackbuie 1888 lived at 22 Barron Court, Huntly in 1981.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 13 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

How old does the boy John look to be abt in the photo? How old does Eliza look ( trying to date photo)?

You have stated John GRANT's parents names from the 1909 marriage.
But what were Eliza's address and her parents names given as?

Elizabeth McANDIE/GIBSON/STRONACH who died Huntly 1983- what was her precise address in Huntly?  Were her parents named on it?

Have you looked for & found Eliza's parents in 1911? Maybe Eliza  was at home with her own mother during childbirth time?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

Eliza McKandie born Boharm Banff , 1888 ?

National Records of Scotland has this -
CS257/842 John Grant v Elizabeth R McKandie or McAndie or Grant : Divorce , 1919

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:40 GMT (UK) »
James Gibson / Elizabeth McAndie(other surname Grant) marriage 1926 Paisley Renfrew

William Stronach / Elizabeth McAndie(other surname Gibson) marriage 1950 , Aberdeen

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, I did think that Stronach was perhaps right as my late mother's brother had Stronach in his name and I could almost hear my late grandfather's voice talking about a Willie Stronach. I should have listened more in childhood. i have so many notes but I think I did find a birth for a John Grant in Borham in 1913 on Scotland's people. Eliza was not at her parent's home - Peter McKandie or McAndie (after 1911) and Margaret Ann Milne as Annie McAndie (my grandmother) was the eldest child at home on that census at Slackbuie, I did find an Eliza on a census in Rathven district for 1911 and one of my uncle's was born there so we must have had family in that area.
Back to the detective work and many thanks once more.
regards

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly
your name on Rootschat made me think of Eliza and James Gibson's name of house - Amberley - just a thought
regards

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Meant to post only picture I have of Eliza and John

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 May 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just wanted to express an interest in this line of inquiry. My wife is a descendant of Elspet McKandy born at Aberlour in 1835. She would have been a half-sister to the Peter McKandie mentioned already. By my reckoning their father George McKandie had 7 children by his first wife Janet Garrow in Aberlour and another 7 by his second wife Ann Inkson, the first 2 also at Aberlour, but moving to Bogbain, Keith around 1844, where the remainder, including Peter, were born.

George McKandie was one of 7 children to James McKandie and Anne Bell in Knockando and that's as far back as I can go because the older records were destroyed in a fire. There was a well known McKandy family in Inveravon also, who may well be linked, but most of them changed their name to Mitchell. If anyone has any morsels of information to add to this line, I would be most interested.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline Lollipop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 02:50 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandmother, Margaret Milne McKandie (or grant) is the daughter of Elizabeth McKandie. I have a copy of my grans birth cert which claims that John Grant (stated as a General Labourer) was not her father as Elizabeth had not had intercourse with him in 3 years !

My gran was born in 1913.

My gran was allegedly the only girl out of 9, 7 of the brothers died within weeks of each other during WW11 and I have a newspaper cutting telling this story by my gran.