Author Topic: Eliza McAndie born Slackbuie 1888 lived at 22 Barron Court, Huntly in 1981.  (Read 6849 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza McAndie born Slackbuie 1888 lived at 22 Barron Court, Huntly in 1981.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:15 BST (UK) »

My gran was allegedly the only girl out of 9, 7 of the brothers died within weeks of each other during WW11 and I have a newspaper cutting telling this story by my gran.

Hi Lollipop

That seems an extraordinary story. I checked the record of WW2 deaths in the name of McKandie but could find only one concerning someone from Elgin. Would they have use the name Grant? If so is it possible for you list all or some of their names?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Lollipop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
John Army
Alistair Army
Douglas Navy
Duncan navy
Margaret (my gran)
Walter Air Force
Alisdair (could be Alistair) Air Force
James Air Force
Gordon - all I know is he was youngest and demobbed

These are in age order

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hmm. The sons must have had a variety of names - if John Grant and Eliza were married in 1909 and she hadn't had contact with him for 3 years before 1913, there wasn't time for her to have 9 sons to John Grant unless she had quadruplets and quintuplets in very quick succession!

But it would explain why she wasn't with him in the 1911 census.

On the other hand, if she had Margaret in 1913, it looks as if John b Boharm 1913 can't be hers.

And she was nearly 40 when she married James Gibson in 1926 so she can't have had 9 sons to him either.

I suspect you are stuck with looking for illegitimate Grants, but if you are lucky they might also be registered as Mc(K)andie.

Best place to start is probably www.cwgc.com but if any of the the sons were indeed illegitimate and known by their fathers' surnames you'll be stuck.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lollipop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
I have found a copy of the divorce between Elizabeth and John Grant, granted at his request sometime 1918-1919

Offline Lollipop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:52 BST (UK) »
Also have my grandmothers birth certificate that shows Elizabeth McKandie or Grant afterwards married to James Gibson (a baker).

Offline BlackBat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 August 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
My maternal great grandfather is Peter McKandie. His daughter Helen is my grandmother. I have been puzzling for ages about the Mitchell connection. I note that in 1911 census Gandson John McAndie is present. I had assumed that one of the sons was his father but possibly an illegitimate son of Eliza.