Author Topic: William Townsend born 1880 Macclesfield apparently went to Canada  (Read 5405 times)

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Townsend born 1880 Macclesfield apparently went to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 15 00:12 GMT (UK) »
After all this time I have an update!  :D

I have found that William Townsend was in the Welsh Fusiliers serving in the Boer War and although in his army record it mentions his record ran until 24th October 1909 it does mention that he was permitted to reside in Canada and this was authorised at Chester on 27th July 1905.  I have attached this information.

I also found a ships record showing him leave from Glasgow to Canada although I'm not specifically sure what his destination in Canada was but this was only 2 days later on 29th July 1905. It is definately him which is great.

What happens then though? Can anyone help? He seems to disappear again but based on the record I have attached was he definately still alive at least up until 24th October 1909?
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 October 15 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps this chap is worth a little investigation - immigration would be round about the right time  - 31 Love Hamilton City Ontario in 1921

William Townsend  42 Born 1879 Eng. Imm 1906. Electrician.
Rosilla Townsend  45 Born 1876 Ontario. (maiden name was originally Matthews - married George Harvey)
Russell Harvey  19 Born 1902 Ontario. Son  ???
Vera Harvey  18 Born 1903 Ontario. Step-Daughter.

Rosilla -  maiden name was originally Matthews - married George Harvey 17 October 1900.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 October 15 02:56 GMT (UK) »
The chap in the reply above had a middle name William Walker Townsend. According to marriage to Rosilla - 12 April 1909 - Wentworth Ontario - Parents Frederick Townsend and Mother Hannah Miles.  William was a presser.  Hmmm Hannah stuck out but maybe not the right connection  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 October 15 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Thanks for helping out again as always  :)
There's a bit of mileage in what you've found as I've checked the birth records for around that time and there was no William Walker Townsend born.
As previously mentioned William's father is unknown as the father is blank on his birth certificate. Still doesn't answer where the Walker for the middle name comes from though.....
Also any father figure William would have had as he was a child would have been his uncle who was called Frederick Townsend and as we know his mother was definately called Hannah.
I wonder if Hannah moved to Canada also as I have no trace of her at all after the 1881 census in the UK.
Did she marry anybody with the surname Miles?
William's occupation's listed in his 2 army records were listed as a driver and a carter but that was back in 1897.
There's no way Russell Harvey would be his son as he was exclusively in South Africa in the Boer War between 23rd October 1899 and 3rd February 1903.
Anything else you could maybe find would be great as there's definately some matches of a few things here on this person from Ontario
Hope anyone can help/assist
Phil

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 October 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Gone down the same searching avenues Phil - the son Russell Harvey was obviously a mistake.
Crazy isn't it when you are missing that small "link" - going round in circles but keep looking.  :-\

Sandra.

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 October 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Also in the 1881 uk census there are only 11 William Townsend all similar sounding surnames with a Frederick in the same household. Of those 11 none have a father called Frederick or if they do are in and around being born between 1878 to 1881.
I reckon this could be my William Townsend although I still can't explain the Walker but I've already answered that too in that no William Walker Townsend was born around 1880.
Is there anything else out there that tells us anything more about the family? William, Rosilla, Russell and Vera?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 October 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Didn't learn anything from the marriages of the 2 Harvey children - Vera Harvey married James Norman Lennie born 1900 Wentworth Ontario. They married 10 December 1927 Wentworth Ontario. Father George Henry Harvey - Mother  Rosilla Matthews.

Russell went under George Russell Harvey when he married Catharine Irene Crofton 11 December 1924 - Parents George Harvey and Rosilla Matthews

Sandra

Added Anc tree shows George Russell Harvey died in 1966 Toronto. A son Crofton Harvey passed away 20 February 2010 (found an obit for him - but no clues - will send by pm for you to read)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 October 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Rosilla Townsend buried at Wentworth

Rosilla Townsend -  Hamilton (Church of the Ascension - B) Wentworth Hamilton HM-273

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so if that grave reference throws another spanner in the works - a William Walter Townsend is buried at the same reference - loks like its entered twice  ???

William W. Townsend -  Hamilton (Church of the Ascension - B) Wentworth Hamilton HM-273
William Walter Hamilton (Church of the Ascension - B) Wentworth Hamilton HM-273

??? ???
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 October 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a BMD record for a Walter William Townsend - Q2 Apr/May/June 1880 - Macclesfield - Cheshire - Vol 8a 142

Appears at 106 Chester Road West Macclesfield in 1881 -  with parents Frederick Townsend and Jane

Frederick Townsend  30 Jane Townsend  21
Frederick Townsend  5 Harry Townsend  3
Walter Townsend  1

and 1891 William and Walter together  ???

Frederick Townsend  40 Jane Townsend  33
Frederick W Townsend  15 Harry Townsend  12
William Townsend  11 Walter Townsend  10
Edna Townsend  8 Milly Townsend  7

Sandra

Need to read through again - Chester Road came up earlier.  ???