Author Topic: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin - Family background  (Read 7449 times)

Offline fiftywinds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi F  :)

I have moved over your post to the Lanarkshire board where I am sure you will get more help with the local searches  :) This is the link to the original post on the Banffshire post regarding Tomintoul www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,434380.0.html

hi
i am trying to find out more about the experience of the young people from glasgow who were "boarded out" in the Tomintoul and Tomnavoulin areas between 1898 and 1908. i would be particularly interested in finding out about the school in tombae at this period. are there any books on the area at this time or useful sources?
thanks

Hi,
I have just come across your post. I have recently found out that I have relatives, William and Catherine Kelly, who were boarded out to a Donald Cumming in Tomintoul on 9/4/1901. The information does come from excellent Poor Relief records held at the Mitchel Library. They were in a Poorhouse in Glasgow for around 2 years before being sent to Tomintoul.
I am unable to find the family in the 1901 or 1911 census. I have found a Donald Cumming who has taken in boarders but not my William or Catherine. Do you have any more information on what happened to the poor wee mites that were sent away from the awful conditions in Glasgow? You mentioned school records?
Many thanks,
F

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Re: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 13 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi F

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

We can try to help you find William and Catherine at least in 1901 hopefully. When and where were they born. From your notes, were parents' still alive when they were sent away?

The children may have been already in care (as boarders in another household for example) in the Glasgow area before being sent away.

There is this entry for example from 1901:

Kate Kelly, inmate, 8 b. Glasgow. This entry shows at 21 Whitevale Street, Glasgow Camlachie. I am guessing this is likely to be the Catholic Children's Refuge at Whitevale Street.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fiftywinds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Many thanks for your reply. William born(9/3/1891) and Catherine(29/11/1892) were admitted to a workhouse in Glasgow around 12/3/1895. Their mother, Mary McConville, Mullen Kelly died on 9/3/1895 and their father William Kelly had deserted the family after spending time in prison in Glasgow for assaulting his wife. Their last known address was 155 Blackburn St, Glasgow. Their father did see the children once or twice then disappeared from their life. According to the Poor Relief Records held in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, on 9/4/1901 it was decided to board them out to a Donald Cumming, Victoria Cottage, Tomintoul. It is difficult to decipher the records but these seem to be the correct details.

Their mother Mary was previously married to a James Mullen who died in 1885 and had 3 children, John, Sarah and my great grandmother Mary. (We knew nothing of her early life until last week and had no idea she had half brothers or sisters.

Many thanks for any information you could provide.

F
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin - Family background
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
As you can see, I have jiggling around with these posts so that you are in the best place for the specific Glasgow based queries. Hoping everything has linked properly and also left a link to here, with a copy of your original post, on the Banffshire post.

Regarding your last comments and the dates of birth for William (March 1891) and Catherine (Nov. 1892), the 1901 entry I posted for Catherine (Kate) could well fit for her?:

Kate Kelly, inmate, 8 b. Glasgow. This entry shows at 21 Whitevale Street, Glasgow Camlachie. I am guessing this is likely to be the Catholic Children's Refuge at Whitevale Street.

Were the family Roman Catholic?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
If the agreement to move William and Catherine under Donald Cummings care was confirmed on 9 April 1901, likely they were still in Glasgow for the 1901 census you would think (date for this 31 March 1901).

There are a couple of possibilities for young William in 1901:

Helen Kelly 58 charwoman b. Glasgow
Margt Mains 28
Janet Lamb 21
Joseph Lamb 24
Robert Mains 8
William Kelly 9 grandson b. Glasgow
Address: 6 Stirling St, Glasgow Blackfriars

Do you have the marriage entry for Mary McConville to William Kelly to confirm his parents' details?

Also,

James Robertson 31
Mary Robertson 29
Annie Robertson 1
John Robertson 75
William Mccarrol 25
William Kelly 10 boarder b. Glasgow
Neil Mcmillan 6 boarder b. Glasgow
James Boyle 34
Address: 4 Moray Place, Rutherglen Lanarkshire

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Was husband William Kelly already AWOL and tricky by 1891  :-\

Mary Mullen 30, wife b. Ireland
John Mullen 12
Sarah Mullen 10
Mary Mullen 6
William Kelly 1 month
Address: 155 Blackburn St, Govan

Marriage for William Kelly and Mary in 1888?

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 March 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
i would be particularly interested in finding out about the school in tombae at this period. are there any books on the area at this time or useful sources?

There is a book 'Banffshire Schools and Schoolmasters' which might be what you are looking for.

Another thing that has struck me is that the church at Tombae is Roman Catholic, so any school nearby may also have been Roman Catholic.

I have just recently read Lewis Man by Peter May. One thread of the storyline is about Roman Catholic orphans taken from their home city and packed off to live with families on the Isle of Eriskay. Could it be that Roman Catholic children in particular were sent from Glasgow to the Glenlivet area, which was a stronghold of Roman Catholicism throughout the 18th and 19th centuries?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fiftywinds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thankyou for your very quick reply and apologies for my slow one.

Was husband William Kelly already AWOL and tricky by 1891  :-\

Mary Mullen 30, wife b. Ireland
John Mullen 12
Sarah Mullen 10
Mary Mullen 6
William Kelly 1 month
Address: 155 Blackburn St, Govan

Marriage for William Kelly and Mary in 1888?

Monica
This is my great grandmother, Mary (Mcconville) Mullen/Kelly. She had another child, Catherine on 29/11/92 to William Kelly. Mary and William married in Bellshill on 1/4/88. They moved to Blackburn St, Govan, Plantation. The 1st application for poor relief on 22/9/1891 was because William Kelly assaulted his wife and was sent to prison The family were admitted to the poorhouse. The second application was on 7/12/1893 when the family, now with the addition of little Catherine, were destitute because William Kelly had deserted them in July of 93 and was living with a Mrs Brown of 22 Perth St with whom he had a child. On the 12/3/95 Mary Mullen Kelly died of consumption at 87 McLean Street according to her death certificate, witnessed by her eldest son John. William Kelly seems to have asked for Catherine but could not take care of her.
This is as far as I have got.
I am still looking for John(born in Lurgan, Ireland, 1/11/1879) and Sarah (born in Bellshill, 3/10/85) Mullen as well.

There is this entry for example from 1901:

Monica  :)

This look correct too. I couldn't read the handwriting on the Poorhouse Record but it was Whitevale and she was Catholic.
If the agreement to move William and Catherine under Donald Cummings care was confirmed on 9 April 1901, likely they were still in Glasgow for the 1901 census you would think (date for this 31 March 1901).

There are a couple of possibilities for young William in 1901:

Helen Kelly 58 charwoman b. Glasgow
Margt Mains 28
Janet Lamb 21
Joseph Lamb 24
Robert Mains 8
William Kelly 9 grandson b. Glasgow
Address: 6 Stirling St, Glasgow Blackfriars

Do you have the marriage entry for Mary McConville to William Kelly to confirm his parents' details?

Monica
I don't think this is correct as William's gandmother was called Mary Kelly and then after a second marraige, Mary Wylie who was married to a Hugh Wylie of 119 Henderson St at the time William's mother, Mary, died.

James Robertson 31
Mary Robertson 29
Annie Robertson 1
John Robertson 75
William Mccarrol 25
William Kelly 10 boarder b. Glasgow
Neil Mcmillan 6 boarder b. Glasgow
James Boyle 34
Address: 4 Moray Place, Rutherglen Lanarkshire

Monica
This could be correct as his grandmother's maiden name was McMillan.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry about the slow one...it is all there for when you are ready  ;)

That all seems to connect doesn't it. I am more comfortable about the entry for Catherine (Kate) in 1901.

To find them going forward, Catherine and John, you will need a lot of SP units given the surname :'( or, are you close to one of the main genealogy centres in Scotland to be able to view entries in general on SP?

Monica