Author Topic: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1911, but where?  (Read 14109 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1911, but where?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 March 13 23:18 GMT (UK) »
You're all amazing!!  I leave the computer for 12 hours and by the time I return you have added such a lot, my head is spinning!! Thank you very much for your efforts.  I will put my thinking cap on this weekend and try to make sense of everything that you have found.
Is there any particular reason that the new york papers copy the death notice?

This death notice would imply that he was still alive in 1900 and living in Fulham.

Irish Times
Saturday, 30 June 1900
DEXTER – In Dublin, John Reber, second surviving son of Joseph Dexter, JP, late Co. Clare and Mrs Dexter, 8 Bishop’s Terrace, Fulham, SW.  “Blessed are the dead who lie with the Lord.”  New York papers please copy.

Can't find a death notice for Joseph but still looking.
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 March 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
They did have a son Joseph in 1867, so this could be the same Joseph.
Too many josephs in this family!

I think the working is a bit vague - to me 'late of xxx location' means he used to live there, 'late Mr. YYY of xxxx' means he's deceased. Not sure what they used if he was deceased and formerly lived at xxxx ?

meant to post this death reference earlier...  the location (North Co. Dublin), doesn't really fit, the age is wrong - but the timeframe is about right ...

Name: Joseph Dexter
  Date of Registration:    Jan-Mar 1898
  Registration district: Balrothery
  Volume: 2 / Page: 312

It's remotely possible that the age was mis-recorded, or the mis-indexed ... might be worth eliminating if nothing else...

S.
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
 We can narrow it down to a two year period 1899-1901.
I'm afraid I have no idea about English geography, so the English locations mean nothing.
I appreciate your advice!

The freebmds website covering England as far as they have gone have death dates for several Joseph Dexter between 1893-1913, allowing for the approx. age , the locations were Barrow , Boston, Kettering,Loughbro, Northampton, Nottingham, Poplar, Rugby, Wandsworth. Could your  Dexter be one of them?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I had a look earlier at FreeBMD for deaths between 1890 and 1901 - I think most of the ages at death dont work out ...some are young children, most seem to be too young to be your Joseph

The only older entry is this one...

Quarter/Year : Sep 1899   
  Name : Joseph Dexter
  Registration district : Kettering   
  Volume : 3b    / page : 111    

Kettering registration district is in Northamptonshire, and seems to be located north-west of Northampton - could possibly be on the way between London and Hollyhead ...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:56 GMT (UK) »
re-read your 1st post in this thread...

....born in Fintra sometime around the 1840s...

so add this death :

Quarter/year : Mar 1895   
  Registration district :  Wandsworth     (London)
  Volume : 1d / page: 523

Gerald, 14 yrs is a visitor in Fulham in 1901 in the home of John C Cormack.

p.s. Wandsworth is only about 2 miles south of Fulham...
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 March 13 10:55 GMT (UK) »
As he is registered with Thoms as still living in 1899 this couldnt be him, could it?

re-read your 1st post in this thread...

....born in Fintra sometime around the 1840s...

so add this death :

Quarter/year : Mar 1895   
  Registration district :  Wandsworth     (London)
  Volume : 1d / page: 523

Gerald, 14 yrs is a visitor in Fulham in 1901 in the home of John C Cormack.

p.s. Wandsworth is only about 2 miles south of Fulham...

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 23 March 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
directory entry could be slightly out of date... have to clutch at straws with this guy!

plus the location is so close to Fulham, where Annie is mentioned living in 1900
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:02 GMT (UK) »
OK, I will clutch at the straw and see where it leads me! Thanks again,

directory entry could be slightly out of date... have to clutch at straws with this guy!

plus the location is so close to Fulham, where Annie is mentioned living in 1900

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
sorry.... hold off on that Joseph, I may be able to eliminate him. There's a Joseph Dexter of matching age/yob not too far away in London on the 1891 census - born Leicestershire...

He's not with family so might be difficult to follow, but I'll see if he seems to vanish - could be the Joseph that died 1895

English census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
My Surname Interests