Author Topic: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1911, but where?  (Read 14075 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1911, but where?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have only guessed at Joseph's D.O.B, assuming that he was about the same age as Annie.  i will have to wait to confirm his age on his marriage cert. Once that is done I will be in a better position to identify him on a death cert. I will have to write off for the marriage cert soon!

I had a look earlier at FreeBMD for deaths between 1890 and 1901 - I think most of the ages at death dont work out ...some are young children, most seem to be too young to be your Joseph

The only older entry is this one...

Quarter/Year : Sep 1899   
  Name : Joseph Dexter
  Registration district : Kettering   
  Volume : 3b    / page : 111    

Kettering registration district is in Northamptonshire, and seems to be located north-west of Northampton - could possibly be on the way between London and Hollyhead ...

Shane
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
no sign of that Joseph that I can find on the 1901 census - so think he's the one that died.

worth try - we ruled out a possible match. So barring serious indexing error it seems to me that there's no death in Ireland, England or Wales. You need access to ScotlandsPeople website (subscription) to to check deaths in Scotland.

marriage cert may only say 'full age'... so 21 or over...

S.

English census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I had discounted that chap because of 1891  :-\
Is there no help available from Clare resources? You would imagine that there would be an obituary in his own place?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the clare library resources, but I only found  him in the directories.
I dont think the Clare Champion is available online, I will investigate online access to the irish times.

I had discounted that chap because of 1891  :-\
Is there no help available from Clare resources? You would imagine that there would be an obituary in his own place?
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. My tree already has a few dead ends, this might just have to be another one.
On the bright side I have SO much more than I did a couple of weeks ago, its all wonderful.

no sign of that Joseph that I can find on the 1901 census - so think he's the one that died.

worth try - we ruled out a possible match. So barring serious indexing error it seems to me that there's no death in Ireland, England or Wales. You need access to ScotlandsPeople website (subscription) to to check deaths in Scotland.

marriage cert may only say 'full age'... so 21 or over...

S.

English census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dexnoonoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 02 October 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a direct relative of Joseph Dexter. He moved to England and re married. His son was my Grandfather Gerald Dexter who had four children three girls and a boy (Frank), my father. Would love to hear from you.

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 January 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Excuse the delay in responding, I havent checked this site for a while ....
I would be very grateful for info on the date of Joseph Dexter's move to England and his date of death as well.
Do you know where the divorce would have gone through the courts?
Cheers,
Cathy

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 January 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I presume there was a divorce ....?

Offline Dexterresearcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 09 April 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, I think there was some confusion in the last couple of postings. I am from the same family. Gerald Wiliam Edgeworth Dexter was born to William Dexter on 29 May 1903, not to Joseph Dexter who was William's father. William did re-marry.

Further, from the family notes, on Joseph Dexter (notes courtesy of Frank Dexter):

"There is no record of the death of Joseph Dexter. Family legend has it that Joseph drank away the family fortune and emigrated to Australia. It is known that on 7th March 1896 a person named John Dexter from Tipperary died in Melbourne Hospital, he had arrived ... on the ship Ormuz, his Australian occupation was listed as "shepherd" and he was described as "single'. Was this Joseph Dexter having deserted his wife and family?"