Author Topic: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1911, but where?  (Read 14127 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1901, but where?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 March 13 08:42 GMT (UK) »

Could someone please advise - are Irish death records complete?  if there seems to be no record of Joseph's death 1893-1900 in Ireland is it more likely that a)  he died in another place, or b) might his death in Ireland just not be recorded for some reason?

That is wonderful information. Thanks to your help I now have a much better idea of her family circumstances.
Much appreciated!

Hello,

Annie is a widow in 1901 in Dublin

regards
heywood
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1901, but where?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 13 08:50 GMT (UK) »

Could someone please advise - are Irish death records complete?  if there seems to be no record of Joseph's death 1893-1900 in Ireland is it more likely that a)  he died in another place, or b) might his death in Ireland just not be recorded for some reason?

civil BMD records are complete and the online index on FamilySearch covers all Ireland up to 1921 - but like any set of records there can be mistakes, omissions or indexing problems.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dexter died 1893-1911, but where?
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Where/ when did Annie die? Do you have an obituary or burial details?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:43 GMT (UK) »
seem to remember Co. Dublin. - maybe Dún Laoghaire - 1930s?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:47 GMT (UK) »
seem to remember Co. Dublin. - maybe Dún Laoghaire - 1930s?

Yes,Shane I found it. Just wondering if Annie was buried in family grave or if there was a mention of Joseph in an obituary.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 March 13 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I had assumed that Joseph died in County Clare, he was still listed as a J.P living in Ruan in 1893.... I assumed that after his death Annie then moved between at least two of her children, in Dublin and England.
There was a big dexter family in Co Kerry with some Josephs, but i havent connected him to them yet....

I havent found an obit for Annie,
Is there an online source for  dublin burials / cemeteries?
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 March 13 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Is there an online source for  dublin burials / cemeteries?

One major Dublin Cemetery has complete online records - Glasnevin, there are quite a few others in the city and county, although very few in the city were still in operation by the 1890s. I would suggest  following up on Annie first to see if there's a newspaper death notice for her, and also try to figure out where she's buried. Could be where Joseph is buried also, or he could be mentioned on the headstone ...if there is one... Where there any Dexter children or other family in Ireland when Annie died ?

see : Dublin Graveyards (RootsChat Resource Topic)

It looks to me that that Joseph didn't die in Ireland, either that or he possibly abandoned his family (like one of mine did - left wife and children and went to Australia, never to be heard from again..) , or maybe died at sea ?

Have you worked out a timeline for Annie - i.e. dates, locations etc. I believe you mentioned she moved to England for a time ?

p.s. I had a quick search for a J. Dexter burial in Glasnevin in the late 1890s, early 1900s but no results.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 March 13 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Annie Atkinson Hall was born 1846 in melbourne to Joseph Hall (from lurgan) and an untraceable mother in 1846. Annie named after her granny, Josephs mum Anne atkinson.
Joseph returned to ireland 1853 with a new wife ellen bindon, bringing a "miss hall" with him, must have been annie although the age is wrong. They settled in Clooney near Ennis,County Clare. Joseph was among other things a JP.
Annie married Joseph Dexter in county clare in 1866. Joseph was a land agent and a JP!
1869- 1893 they were registered in various directories in Ruan, Miltown Malbay, Carrigpatrick.
Had at least six children, maybe as many as nine.
1901 Annie is a widow living in Charleston Ave, Rathmines and Rathgar with Brendan MacCarthy her son in law, her daugher Eleanor and a younger daughter Hilda. Brendan was catholic, the others were baptist, C of E and  'protestant episcopal'. 
1911  living in Ealing with son William Edgeworth Dexter and daughter in law And their four children
1929 returned on a boat from sth america with Dublin Son in law Brendan and daughter Eleanor
1930 and 31 registered with William Edgeworth in Windmill road Harrow in England
1932 died in Dublin with Brendan and Eleanor.
You can see why I get confused!!

I will see if I can find an obit or a will for her,  no luck so far!

I appreciate your interest very much. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 March 13 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Annie's Will will be in England-

1932 DEXTER Annie Atkinson of 241 Windmill-road Ealing Middlesex died 30 January 1932 at Desmond Sandymount-avenue Dublin Probate London 25 February to Gerald Richard Dexter manager. Effects £829 17s 8d.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!