Author Topic: Stroud Haxton  (Read 4098 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stroud Haxton
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm interested in finding out some more information about (Alfred) Stroud Haxton who was a violinist/society musician in the early 1900's.

He was born 1884 in the Strand district of London, son of Richard Haxton and Louisa Harriette Webb.  At the time of the 1911 census he was living with his parents in Dollis Villas, Neasden.  His father was an electrician, Stroud's occupation is shown as violinist/concert agent.

Just prior to WW1 he was performing with his band at a club called The 400 in Old Bond Street, London.

He married Leah Primrose Barnato, daughter of diamond millionaire Barney Barnato, in 1916 in Westchester, New York.  Stroud and Leah had one child, a daughter called Olive Primrose born 1915 in Connecticut.  A US WW1 draft registration card dated September 1918 shows his occupation to be President of the Trego Motors Corporation.  They were living at the Hotel Knickerbocker, Times Square, New York at this time.

The couple divorced.  Stroud married again to a woman called Marjorie May Maxine and he died in 1931 in Roehampton in Surrey.  His first wife Leah Barnato married Carlyle Blackwell, star of many silent films, in 1926 at St George Hanover Square, London  Leah died in 1933 in Westminster.

Any further information gratefully received.
Regards,
Chris

Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stroud Haxton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

I thought the Barnato surname was familiar

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/episode/esther-rantzen

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you have details of Marjorie, she seems to be between England and New York with Alfred in 1920-30, gives her date of birth and where she was born if you do not already have it?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Yes, it's a very interesting family and the Barney Barnato story, in particular, is fascinating.  I'm trying to unravel some of the marriage connections but am having difficulty as the people seemed to move between England and the US so frequently.  I believe the Esther Rantzen line connects through to one of Barney's sisters.

Regards,
Chris

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks...I hadn't got round to checking the 1920 US census records.  Where was she from originally?

Regards,
Chris

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Will- After all that he only left £451.4.0d

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I can not find the ship entry now that showed her birth, there are so many. From memory it was 1899 and a place that started with an H then NJ which I took to mean New Jersey. If I come across it I will post it.
Jennifer

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

Yes, he didn't leave much of an estate.  In contrast, Leah Blackwell (nee Barnato) left an estate worth £294,757.

I've just found a newspaper article published 1925 concerning Stroud and Leah's divorce.  Stroud Haxton petitioned for divorce on the grounds of his wife's adultery with Carlyle Blackwell.  They had married in the US in 1916 but moved back to England lived along Devonshire Street in London.  Stroud's work took him across to the US for long periods of time.  When he returned to London in 1923 he received 'certain information as to the respondent's (Leah Haxton's) mode of life'.  A decree nisi was granted with costs against the co-respondent (Carlyle Blackwell).  The article states that there was no issue from the Haxton/Barnato marriage but this conflicts with a subsequent announcement of Olive Primrose Haxton to Fitzroy Phillips in 1935 which indicated that she was the only child of the late Alfred Stroud haxton and the late Mrs Carlyle Blackwell.

Regards,
Chris

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 March 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
The article states that there was no issue from the Haxton/Barnato marriage but this conflicts with a subsequent announcement of Olive Primrose Haxton to Fitzroy Phillips in 1935 which indicated that she was the only child of the late Alfred Stroud haxton and the late Mrs Carlyle Blackwell.

I saw that too (in The Times).  She was born before the marriage so perhaps the point was that technically she was not issue of the marriage.  On the other hand perhaps they were not (or not both) her natural parents, although as shown by the marriage announcement she was treated as theirs.

Is there a Connecticut birth registration for her? (added: hmmm... they seem not to be generally accessible for 100 years www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Connecticut_Vital_Records#Birth_Records).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)