Author Topic: lavinia rigden halifax and charles ellison  (Read 11589 times)

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lavinia rigden halifax and charles ellison
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 March 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
charles h death in 1932 is charles harry, halifax born. ruby was adopted and believe may relate to the bradford born charles 1862 and his family.yes there was a marriage between charles and lavinia and no i didn't get it as it didn't say if he was the bradford born or halifax born charles on record i saw, only gave names,record reference and that it was in halifax. so again don't know if my family or the bradford one. Also didn't know what happened with my charles's wife as she suddenly dissapears from the electoral roll lists and at that time was trying to find out which joseph ogden ellison was which as there was two of them and was looking for joseph ogden ellison born 1849 to differentiate him from joseph ogden ellison born 1878 through any relatives as they had different wives joseph ogden ellison 1878 married emma jane greenwood and joseph ogden ellison 1849 married mary ann holroyd.
hence once had charles's birth,marriage and death record that was that, was only interested in the ellison line and not the wives at the time have since become interested in them though.
as charles harry's wife disappeared from the lists decided she had either died or left him.
didn't look into the re-marriage issue when found death certificate as couldn't prove it either way as didn't know when he Charles(bradford) died or where lavinia died at the time.
hope this explains things.

T.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 March 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Do you understand from the research that has been done, that Charles and Lavinia DIDNT marry -  because they were both still married to other people?

I dont understand how you still say there was a marriage - you speak as if you have seen the record of it. Is that the case? Where did you see it?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 21 March 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
my charles's wife suddenly dissapears from the electoral roll lists

Can you give details of the electoral rolls you have looked at with Charles & his wife on
what date did she disappear?

was trying to find out which joseph ogden ellison was which as there was two of them
was looking for joseph ogden ellison born 1849 to differentiate him from joseph ogden ellison born 1878 

Here are details of the two Joseph's born 1878 & 1848

Joseph Ogden Ellison
Parish:    Halifax, Haley Hill, All Souls
Baptism Date:    7 Feb 1878
Father's Name:    Albert Ellison
Mother's Name:    Louisa Ellison

Joseph Ogden Ellison Age: 20
Marriage    19 Nov 1898 Halifax, St John the Baptist
Father's Name:    Albert Ellison
Spouse's Name:    Emma Greenwood Father's Name:    William Greenwood

this Joseph died 1927

Joseph Ogden Ellison The Joiner's Arms Inn Green Lane Halifax
Probate Date:    24 Oct 1927 to widow Emma
Death Date:    22 Sep 1927

then there's

Joseph Ogden Ellison Age: 22 (1850)
Marriage    1 Feb 1872 Halifax, St John the Baptist
Father's Name: John Ellison occ Plasterer
Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Holroyd Father's Name:    Isaac Hobroyd

he died 1878 age 29

Joseph Ogden Ellison (b1849)
Event Type:    Burial
Archive Location:  Calderdale
Burial Date:    6 Jun 1878
Reel Number:    Halifax; CR33

Charles's father is John Thomas Ellison and his mother's maiden name is Jane Brearley.

and 1871 census Piece:4423 Folio: 107 Page 20
shows  Joseph Ellison age 22 born 1849 Halifax & Charles Ellison age 9 born 1862 Halifax together with siblings & their parents John T (Thomas) Ellison & Jane

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 March 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
charles and lavinia did marry as had a look at the marriage record on Genes Reunited and gives the name of the groom and the bride unfortunately  on this record only shows bride, groom and witnesses normally. also shows the marriage st catherine reference. however on this record does not say where they lived from memory alone nor if they had middle names. only shows their first named and where they got married. accordingly as far as i know it could be either my charles or the bradford charles who came to halifax. as i haven't actually seen that marriage certificate in the flesh i don't know where charles and lavinia lived when they got married nor who their parents were. accordingly cannot tell if it was charles harry my charles who is related to me who i did research on or the charles from bradford who i did not research. as both are shown on the census as charles and not one shown on the census as charles and one as charles harry you would only know who they were if you knew charles from bradford's middle name if he had one or which address he lived in in halifax. again as i diidn't research the wives at the time didn't know who charles bradford married so couldn't pick him up on the census and don't know where he died so don't know if one and the same. accordingly think it is the bradford charles who married lavinia but unless see the marriage certificate in the flesh or find some clue as to where he lived as only know where mine lived cannot prove they are not one and the same/nor can i prove they are different.
like i said i think i have the reference somewhere for the marriage and will try and find it so can look at the marriage certificate reference for charles and lavinia but just don't have it to hand.
hope that's clear.

T.       

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 March 13 05:46 GMT (UK) »

T,

With four of us searching and NOT finding a record of Charles's marriage to Lavina it is now up to you to show us the marriage reference as you appear to be the only person who has seen it.

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 22 March 13 06:53 GMT (UK) »
as i haven't actually seen that marriage certificate in the flesh i don't know where charles and lavinia lived when they got married nor who their parents were

have the reference somewhere for the marriage and will try and find it so can look at the marriage certificate reference for charles and lavinia but just don't have it to hand.

As you don't have the marriage certificate do you have the details from the birth certificate for your Charles Harry Ellison born 1862 confirming his parents names, mother's maiden name, their address and father's occupation ?

I have added the link below that started 2010 a person looking for a John Thomas Brearley,
 2012 there has been a reply added and mentions Charles Harry/Henry Ellison born on 22nd June 1862 in Halifax and died on 27th January 1932, also mentions that Eliza A Gath is Charles' second wife  ???

http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1222560

The marriage certificate between Charles Ellison age 23  & Eliza Ann Gath is available to view on line unfortunately no middle name for Charles and it states Charles is a Bach (Batchelor)
so that would indicate he was not married previously ???

If you can't find your info. regarding the marriage between Charles & Lavinia maybe you can make contact with that person and find out where they got their information from
he say he's related to John Thomas' son Joseph Ogden Ellison

Hope that may be of some help

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 22 March 13 07:40 GMT (UK) »

T,

The 'Mark' on the GenesReunited thread which Ladyhawk has put up for you is obviously the 'Mark' I mentioned in my post 18 on this thread.

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 22 March 13 07:43 GMT (UK) »

With four of us searching and NOT finding a record of Charles's marriage to Lavina it is now up to you to show us the marriage reference as you appear to be the only person who has seen it.

Especially as we have found evidence that Lavinia was still married to Brearley right up to her death!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Very sorry folks, but I'm going to add another surname into the equation  :-X

Whilst there is no Ruby Ellison birth registration in 1903, there is a registration in Leeds, page 515, in June quarter 1903 for Ruby ELLISON BLAND.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY