Author Topic: Barnett's Inn (Templepatrick/Carnmoney/Mallusk) Newtownabbey  (Read 8846 times)

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Barnett's Inn (Templepatrick/Carnmoney/Mallusk) Newtownabbey
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for some information about a pub called Barnett's Inn.

I have been told it was owned by my 3x Great Grandparents James Barnett & Elizabeth Barnett (nee Lemon.)

Can anyone shed any light on this? Any images/articles/facts would be great. Rumors or story's would be great too.

I found these posts on another forum
  • "The name of the bar on the Antrim Road outside Templepatrick was Barnetts Inn it was also joint owned by Billy Clarke. HBM. Twyford. Clarke, Long."
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3015.15

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barnett's Inn (Templepatrick/Carnmoney/Mallusk) Newtownabbey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 13 09:26 GMT (UK) »

Hope someone can help you Kennyjbrown, just to comment that I can definitely confirm the existence of Barnett's Inn up to the 1970s, it was towards the Templepatrick end of the A6 Antrim Road. I remember an older sibling complaining about the cost of taxis to and from it and the slightly further way 'Pig and Chicken' (both were a bit far from Greater Belfast for a night out!).

It went on to become a big white rendered building called the Airport Inn and I remember lots of young folk frequented there in the 1980s/90s. And that's the last I heard of it.  Surprisingly, google and other searches bring back virtually nothing. The Griffiths Valuation map shows nothing where I remember it being (other than mills). A quick look at newspapers of the era for that name reveals nothing.  I am as intrigued as you are.

What decade do you reckon your 3xG Grandparents were running it and is there any possibility it was under a different name?

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure of the connections to my 3x Great Grandparents. I got the info from an elderly relative a while ago.

I ran a search in 1918 Belfast Street Directory
In Templepatrick there are two Barnett's listed:
Barnett, Robt., farmer, Kilgreel
Barnett, Wm., spirit merchant, Kilgreel <-- this is likely the pub connection.

My 3 x Great Grandfather (James Barnett), if still alive in 1918 would have been 85 so if he ever did own a pub its been passed onto a son/grandson/nephew/brother. On my family tree James does have a son called Robert but not a William. The tree has only just branched out into the Barnett's but at least the street directory gave me a lead to follow.

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm I am beginning to think that the William Barnett could be My 3xGreat Grandfather's nephew. Family connection is still there but more info and research is needed.

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I live near to what was the old Airport Inn, the building is still there. It now has railings around the carpark and as you say is on the A6. It is currently used as offices. There is a new development of houses acorss the A6 from it, if that makes it easier to locate on Google Earth.

Incidentally my grandfather used to own the Templeton Arms  (which later became the Pig n' Chicken) in Templepatrick in the 1940s/50s. If anyone has any information about/photos of this building it would be great to have!

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
  • it's the roots that make the branches sparkle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Re; Barnett's inn.  my better half used to frequent this watering hole in her younger days, the Pig and Chicken and the Chimney corner were her other favourites. I will see if she knows anything this evening when she returns from work.
                                                     regards Brosie.   
BOYD. BRODIE. CLOSS. Morrison. Kennedy. ROBERTSON. AYRSHIRE.  GEORGE. PATTON. STEWART. ALEXANDER. CARSON. HALL. BOYD. NORTHERN IRELAND. KIE BLACKSTOCK WIGTOWNSHIRE.

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 13 16:59 GMT (UK) »

Offline matt_j_wallace

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 October 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Did any more information become of this? I have a 3x great-grandmother who was married in Templepatrick. Her name was Sarah Barnett (b. 1928). If yours would have been 85 in 1918, then that could easily make them siblings. Also, Sarah's father was a James Barnett.

Any information would be very helpful.

Matt

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
A dozen Barnetts come up when you search the name with Kilgreel on the PRONI will calendar.  Here’s a couple of snippets I have previously noted down.

[BNL 15 May 1873]
BARNETT: At Windyhill, Roughfort, William Barnett formerly of Greencastle, aged 70 years.  His remains will be removed for interment in Templepatrick, to-morrow (Friday), at twelve o'clock noon.  Friends will please accept this intimation.

Roughfort is in Craigarogan, next to Kilgreel.  His will mentions wife Mary Eliza and sons William and Henry Kelso.

[BNL 8 Oct 1850]
Oct. 3, in the Remonstrant Meeting-house, Templepatrick, by the Rev. Joseph Nelson, Henry Barnett, Kilgreel, to Anna Matilda Kelso, Ballynabernice, Templepatrick.

^ I think Henry’s father was probably called John, going by the Ulster Historical Foundation index.