Author Topic: Barnett's Inn (Templepatrick/Carnmoney/Mallusk) Newtownabbey  (Read 8898 times)

Offline Daniel Thomas McMurtry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Barnett's Inn (Templepatrick/Carnmoney/Mallusk) Newtownabbey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 October 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenny.
I used to work as a barman at Barnetts Inn in 1979/80. It had a large lounge bar and a restaurant on the ground floor and a function room on the first floor that was used as a disco on Friday and Saturday nights.
I have lots of memories of the place.

Playing darts on a Monday night and stopping to watch Not The 9 o'clock News on the TV in the bar.

Falling for on of the waitresses. Getting thrown down the stairs by a giant from Ballyclare who didn't want to leave at closing time.

Working so many hours at Christmas that I fell asleep in the staff break room when I went for my dinner.

Crashing a waitresses 2CV in the car park in the snow.....

There was a second hand car dealer called Mervyn Wiggins a couple of hundred yards up the road towards Antrim. He liked a whiskey as they said, and could be found in Barnetts Inn most days. His kid sister was my teacher at Antrim Grammar.

It closed for a while on the early 80s and reopened as the Airport Inn, or maybe Airport 2000.

Later became offices. Don't think the buildings there now.

Offline neil1951

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 June 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
cant tell you a lot about the main partners .however Mr Tryford was my mothers cousin
he also owned the glen fish and chip shop in Glengormley .He sold up everything around 1980 and went to the Isle of Man to open guest house
Barnets inn had a number of unsuccessful owners   the latest of which as i remember named it the airport inn think its closed but still there
last time I passed it partly painted purple

Offline JoshWLF

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 September 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
So my mum and dad where frequent visitors of Barnett’s and then the Airport Inn, It was owned by a few folks but they were friendly with a Chinese guy called K Lee hope owned it for a while they also think it might of been called The Rainbow Inn