Author Topic: Willliam Cooke, Griffinstown, Dunlavin  (Read 10631 times)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Willliam Cooke, Griffinstown, Dunlavin
« on: Monday 18 March 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about the children of William Cooke from Griffinstown House. He was married to Elizabeth Disney on the 30/12/1809 in St Mary's Church, Kilkenny and they were both buried in Hacketstown Cemetery, Co Carlow. I don't have dates. William is in the Tithe Valuation of 1824 and the Griffins Valuation in the 1850s.
I am looking for one child in particular but so far I have only found one possible child. This I believe may have been a son, John who died at an early age, but I'm not certain of this.
Help greatly appreciated. 
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Willliam Cooke, Griffinstown, Dunlavin?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I have since found a possible son Robert Disney Cooke of Griffinstown and his daughter Elizabeth.
This is not the child I'm looking for.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Willliam Cooke, Griffinstown, Dunlavin
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 13 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am descended from the Cooke family of Hacketstown, Co. Carlow.

I transcribed the Cooke grave you mentioned in Hacketstown.  It is a ledger style grave and the moss made it quite difficult to read:

Erected by William Cooke
In memory of his wife Elizabeth Cooke
Who departed this life the 7th March 1818
Aged 36 Years.
xxxx
xxxx crucified saviour.
Also xxxx of William Cooke here?
xx departed this life January 185x

his son Robert Disney Cooke who
departed this life January 6th 1881 aged 66 years

I also have the Landed Estate Court Rentals document for the sale of the estate of William Cooke of Griffinstown from 1854.  The following lease information is given which gives some details on the family:

"The Lands above-mentioned are held by virtue of a Lease, bearing date the 6th June 1787, from Morely Saunders to William Cooke, from the 1st May, then last, for lives renewable for ever; Rent reserved, £90 late currency, and payment of the sum of £20 late currency, renewal fine.  The last renewal is dated the 30th January, 1840, from Robert Francis Saunders to the Owner, William Cooke, for the lives of William Johnston Cooke, now aged about 20 years, Ruth Barker, now aged about 81 years and John Cooke, since deceased.  The present owner, on the death of said life, paid to Mr. Saunders the fine for the renewal but neglected to take out the renewal...
  These lands will be sold, subject to a contingent jointure or rentcharge of £50, present currency, a-year, created by an Indenture, dated 13th September, 1828, for the life of Anne, the wife of the owner, Wm. Cooke, now aged about 54 years, in the event of the said Anne surviving her husband (the owner is now aged about 49 years) and also to a perpetual rentcharge of £50 a-year, for Michael Cooke, brother of the owner and his issue."

I'd love to find out the connection of William Cooke of Griffinstown to the Hacketstown Cookes.  My own ancestors were named William and Robert so it seems likely that the families were related.

Do you know anything about the Cooke family going further back?

Shane

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Confirmation of the son named John:

Freeman's Journal - 4th Jan. 1845.

Deaths:

On the 30th ult, at Three Castles, John, fifty son of the late William
Cooke, Esq., of Griffinstown House, Co. Wicklow.

Source:
http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/countrywide/newspapers/freemans056.txt

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane for the reply.
I haven't been able to trace back from William Cooke. My interest in the Cookes is of a daughter of William Cooke born in or about 1825. I am trying to bring some conclusion to a story we have.
The Robert name most likely came from Elizabeth who's father is Robert Disney from Bagenalstown and then Kilkenny.
You mention a threat that the estate was to be sold, it looks like that never happened as Griffinstown House was in the hands of relatives until 1979 when it was sold to the current owner (not related).
I believed Williams son Robert Disney Cooke took over the farm and then it went to his daughter Elizabeth and her husband John Gailey. The Gaileys lived there until 1979.
There were Cookes in Hacketstown until the early 1900s which my dad said recently we were related to but that line has now died out.
I'm not sure how accurate my information is as my research into the Cookes is only quite recent.
I suspect that there were a father and son William to help confuse things too.
It doesn't help much but in the Carlow claimant for losses 1798 there are 4 Cookes mentioned looking for compensation. Edward a weever, James, Thomas a Yeoman and John. 

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 November 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane

During a recent trip to the deeds office in Dublin I came across a marriage settlement between the above mentioned Robert D Cooke and Elizabeth Jones 3rd daughter of my great X3 grandfather John Jones. The land in question was in the area of Rathnagrew, Hacketstown on the 1/12/1841 (book reference 1841-23-260) This refers back to a lease of 30/8/1736. there are also references to many familiar names in my family history.
Interesting that his wife does not appear in the same grave in Hacketstown but also interesting is that I have an old picture of an Elizabeth Cooke taken in San Francisco about the 1870s or 80s. I am not ready to put this 2 & 2 together just yet though.

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 November 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for this update.  Certainly seems like we're closer to making the link between my Cookes of Hacketstown and the Griffinstown Cookes.

My ancestors lived in Rathnagrew so this certainly seems to tie in with the marriage settlement information you read.

Have you got the Landed Court Rentals documents for Hacketstown?  These make reference to the lease of 1736 for Rathnagrew:

"Holds under a lease bearing date the 30th day of August, 1736, from Alexander Carroll to John Smith, for three lives renewable for ever, at the yearly rent of £12 8s., late Irish currency, being equivalent to £11 8s. 1d. present currency, and £6 late Irish currency, equivalent to £5 10s 9d., present currency, as a fine for renewal on the fall of each life.  The premises are stated to contain 38 acres, plantation measure.  The last renewal bears date the 4th day of March, 1837, from John Leonard to Robert Cooke, for the lives of Robert Jones, Joseph Jones, and Sheppard Jones."

Incidentally, just above this entry is a listing for land in Rathnafishogue in the name of George Wilson and Hannah Jones with the following details:

"Holds under a lease bearing date the 26th day of March, 1837, from Alexander Carroll to John Cooke, for three lives, renewable for ever, at the yearly rent of £36 16s., late Irish currency, and a renewal fine of £18 18s. like currency, on the fall of each life.  The premises are stated to contain 151 acres plantation measure.  The last renewal bears date the 8th day of May 1838, from John Leonard to Elizabeth Cooke, George Wilson, and William Saul Jones, for the lives of Nicholas Wilson, Thomas Wilson and William Young."

Looking through the documents I also see the name Robert Patton Jones appear for several parcels of land in the Eagle Hill area.

Apologies for not replying to your earlier private message - it was on my list but I wanted to go back over my documents about the Cooke family first (they are not well organised).

I believe I have another document regarding the first Cookes in Hacketstown.  I will go through my files and get back to you on this.

Thanks again,

Shane

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 November 13 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane

Thanks for the reply.
When I was at the deeds office there were 4 of us, so it may take a while for us to get our research results together. Our primary research on the day was for Jones.
We do intend on returning to search for Cookes among others but not sure if it will be this side of Christmas. I will give you some warning when I do go back.
There are a lot of reoccurring names here. 
1st Robert, Joseph and Sheppard Jones are most likely brothers but it's unproven. Sheppard Jones is Robert Patton Jones father. I don't know about Hannah Jones, possibly sister to Sheppard.
Robert Cooke is most likely Robert Disney Cooke and it is normal for young family members to be added to the lease as it costs money to renew said lease to add a new name.
Rathnafishogue has also come up somewhere but I will have to get back to you on that.
Youngs name appeared on many Jones documents as witnesses.

All for now
Regards
Nigel

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 December 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Charlie J:

The following link has San Francisco Directories and access to old newspapers (as well as other records):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l15/

After a very brief search through the newspapers, I did not see anything for Elizabeth Cooke.

Is there a photographer's name or company on the photo?  That could narrow the date of the photo.

If you are interested in pursuing Elizabeth Cooke, I could see if I can come up with anything.

Kind regards,
Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)