Author Topic: Willliam Cooke, Griffinstown, Dunlavin  (Read 10630 times)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Willliam Cooke, Griffinstown, Dunlavin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 December 13 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa
Thanks for your help.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=662065.0;attach=378942
This is the photograph I have for E Cooke. If it is Elizabeth Cooke Nee Jones then it would most likely have been taken after 1881 as that is when her Husband dies in Co Wicklow. She would have been reasonably wealthy at the time and on a post to date this picture someone said it looked as if she was in mourning. Her birth would have been 1819 to 1824. At the moment I am basing my research on these assumptions.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 December 13 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie J:

I could not get the link to work (perhaps it's my computer?).

I'll have a look around for her in California.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 December 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Its the 3rd picture in this thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=662065.0

Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 May 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Just a note to end this query. I have found confirmation that my GG grandmother Sarah is a daughter of this William Cooke of Griffinstown from a series of letters written by a man from the 1940s. I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to help with my query.

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 December 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I know this is quite an old post, but maybe either Charlie J or San Telmo are still around, I would love to know if you have got anymore info in moving back with these Cookes in Hackettstown and ultimately to Painestown?
All the best
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete
I haven't spent much time on family research lately and I haven't been able to sort out the Cookes of Hacketstown, Griffinstown and Baltinglass. There does seem to be possibly 3 generations of William Cooke dating back to the late 1700s but finding definitive proof of who is related to who has for the time being eluded me for now.