Author Topic: Gavin Greenshields  (Read 10936 times)

Offline lzlogar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gavin Greenshields
« on: Monday 18 March 13 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Gavin Greenshields (1821-1890) was my great-great grandfather.  His daughter Helen Watson Greenshields emigrated to the states (South Dakota)with her husband David Graham (1854-1942) and gave birth to my grandfather, Maynard David Graham.

The linked article from the Journal of Horticulture and Practical Gardener[/i] (21 Jan.1892) makes him sound like quite a character: a former blacksmith turned grocer, horticulturalist, fisherman, and self-educated man.  I know that he built a house called Thornbank and that two of his daughters, Jessie and Jane, ran the grocery after him.  His youngest son John Christie died young at age 26,  and both he and his older brother George Watson Greenshields worked for the railroad.  Another son James Thomas became a schoolteacher, went to South Africa, and became a schoolmaster at Fountainhall, Stow, where he died. His son Gavin was apparently a farmer in the area until the 1940s.

I would love to see a photo of the house, any photos that anyone might have of the family, or any other information about Gavin, his wife, and children would be appreciated.  (An obituary of Gavin Greenshields, for instance, bears references to Robert Browning--but I have not found the exact source of that obit.)

I am also wondering if any Greenshields still reside in the Broughton area.

Thanks for any and all help.

Laura Zlogar
River Falls, Wisconsin, USA

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Greenshields
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Laura, welcome to RootsChat  :)

Wow, how lucky are you to have that very detailed obituary relating to Gavin Greenshields!

I am sure you are likely to have these details, as you seem to have a lot relating to the children of Gavin, but you didn't mention daughter Catherine, the eldest I think. A little here www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=85092716

A great summary of early censuses with links to modern maps here www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=75801014

A little further summary on the family as background for others to connect http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wendyliz&id=I03033

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:32 GMT (UK) »
A complete guess and hoping a local will step in here....!

There are online references to the Broughton Village Hall addressed as Thornton, Broughton, Biggar ML12 6HQ.

An application was made for building plans not to long ago. The app includes a map showing Thornton I think - http://councilpapers.scotborders.gov.uk/submissiondocuments.asp?submissionid=21986 - click on 'view document' and then see page 20 for a map.

www.geograph.org.uk - now a phenomenal resource for photos, shows this entry: www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2790176 A reference there to 1885... Hopefully someone may be able to help you further with this.

Monica

Offline lzlogar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the links to those fantastic photos, of which I was not aware, though I have been in a limited contact with their contributor and will write to  him again.  I did see those references to Thornbank online and the village council office address.  Google Earth and V-pike take you right to the village center, the tearoom, and Broughton stores when Thornbank is entered.  Perhaps a local person could shed more light on the matter.

I look forward to more information if available.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
A contact email here http://onlineborders.org.uk/community/pfvch/who-we-are - connected with the Village Hall activities which you could try for further info perhaps.

You can also contact the www.bordersfhs.org.uk/Index.asp who might also be able to help you further.

Monica

Offline lzlogar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I have attached a photo of 90-year-old Catherine Greenshields (daughter of Gavin Greenshields and Janet Smith) standing next to her father's and mother's tombstone, which also bears the names of her brothers, John Christie and George Watson, as well as her sister Jessie.  This photo was probably taken in 1940.  I assume that this marker is in the Broughton Cemetery.  Do any of you locals recall seeing this marker, if it is still there?  If so, could someone take a photo of the marker, if that is not too much to ask?

Thanks so much.

Offline lzlogar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 April 13 04:17 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone could point me to resources where I might find accounts of Gavin Greenshields' accomplishments at the local flower competitions in Glasgow during the 1880s?  Would there be newspaper accounts of such competitions?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 April 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
You can try a search here www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Just adding Gavin Greenshields brings up a string up possibilities. You can very often tell from the snippet content whether it connects to what you are looking for.

It is pay to view but costs are reasonable if you are looking at a short term access package. Full details on the site.

Monica  :)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 April 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Izlogar, Monica,

I have found some newspaper snippets, he is more famous for showing Rabbits and Mice in the Edinburgh and Borders area. I have PM'd Izlogar for email address so I can pass them on.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.