Author Topic: Thomas SIMMONS of Bathurst (O'Connell) 1835-1891.  (Read 6821 times)

Offline brumby90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas SIMMONS of Bathurst (O'Connell) 1835-1891.
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.

Have been trying for some years to find information on a Thomas SIMMONS who died in O'Connell, near Bathurst in 1891.
Have his death certificate but it gives little.
He married Rachael O'Neil in 1860 in Bathurst.
Have all his children etc but going back from him to his parents I have had no luck. They are listed as Thomas Simmons and Catherine HARPEY but can find nothing on them at all.
On his death cert. it says he had lived in Australia for 54 years which would have meant he came as a 2 yr old in about 1937. I can find no record of this. The best match I can find is a Thomas Simmons who came on the Plantaganet ship in 1857. Not sure if that is him however.
Cannot even find where in England Thomas came from to check.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated
Thanks

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SIMMONS of Bathurst (O'Connell) 1835-1891.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brumby90,

The Thomas on the Plantagenet named his parents as James and Sarah and was from Essex.

Where was your Thomas born?

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Have been trying for some years to find information on a Thomas SIMMONS who died in O'Connell, near Bathurst in 1891.
Have his death certificate but it gives little.
He married Rachael O'Neil in 1860 in Bathurst.
Have all his children etc but going back from him to his parents I have had no luck. They are listed as Thomas Simmons and Catherine HARPEY but can find nothing on them at all.

What information is on his marriage certificate?  I imagine that there's quite a number of blanks, however, these are not usually brickwalls, as the information was obtained by the clergy, just not forwarded to NSW BDM's head office.

Here's a thread I did up that may help you find the information that Thomas SIMMONS provided to the clergyman about himself and his parentage when he married Rachael O'NEIL.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

On NSW BDM's online index I can see Thomas SIMMONDS married Rachel O'NEIL in 1860.  Ref # 1298/1860.  If you don't have a copy of that document, may I suggest you order an official transcription from one of the authorised Agents....
 http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

1867 National Directory EAST MACQUARIE
W Simmonds, Sofala
T. Simmons, Campbell’s River
J Simmons, Mitchell’s creek
T O’Neil, Turon River

NSW Electoral Roll 1870 EAST MACQUARIE
Thomas SIMMONS, leasehold, Campbell’s River.
William SIMMONS, residence, Sofala
Edward O’NEIL, residence, Redbank
Thomas O’NEIL, residence, Turon River
John O’NEIL, residence, King’s Creek

NSW ER 1878 EAST MACQUARIE
Thomas SIMMONS, leasehold, Campbell’s River
John SIMMONDS, residence, Dark Corner
Job SIMMONDS, residence, Dirty Swamp
Denis O’NEAL, leasehold, Campbell’s River
John O’NEIL, residence, Campbell’s River

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline brumby90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for responses.

Debra - dont know where in England he was from. Thats the trouble. No certificates list the actual county. Just England. have both his death and marriage certs. I know the 1857 Thomas came from Essex but I could not find anything else on his family to know if it could be him.

JM - No details at all on either death or marriage certs about where he is from etc. Only parents names. Thats it.  I know everything about him from when he got married but that is all. if I knew where in england he came from and parent name it might help but just cant find a thing. Have tried for years.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »

He would be early 20s at marriage, and arrived as a child, so witnesses names on marriage  certificate might be family. Who are the witnesses please.

Names of children might repeat names of family, first and second sons are sometimes named for father and paternal grandfather. Can you give details of children please?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »

Do you have an occupation for Thomas SIMMONS. Labourer is not so useful, but if he has a trade it might be the same trade as father and brothers.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:30 GMT (UK) »
JM - No details at all on either death or marriage certs about where he is from etc. Only parents names.

Re the marriage cert, is there any notations to say that the NSW BDM reconciled the information from Church Registers?  And if so, does it display HOW MANY church registers were consulted to obtain the information?

The marriage would be recorded in two different local registers if C of E, and then a summary of the information forwarded by the Rev to NSW BDM's deputy registrar at Bathurst. (the summary does not include such things as the bride/groom ages, places of birth, or much about their parentage).  C of E clergy definitely recorded names of the parents of the bride and groom, occupations of their respective dads, occupations for bride and for groom, place of birth for bride and for groom etc etc etc.

Its getting to the parish registers that will help you find the elusive details that Thomas and Rachel provided first hand to the clergy when he was interviewing them prior to marriage.     When you have a moment, click on the link I gave you in my earlier reply,  :)

And PS,  Welcome to Rootschat.  I have only just realised you are new to RChat.

Cheers,  JM

Offline brumby90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hope its ok that I reply to everyone in the one message.:)
 yes he was married at about 25 in St Michaels church in bathurst:
Witnesses: Thomas SHALLOY & Elizabeth SHALLOY (not family)
Celebrant: John GRANT

The names of first born children do match as his parents being thomas and catherine (harpey).

He was only a labourer/farmer.

I have no idea how many church registers were used to get info. It was a trancript from one of the agents on BDM.

I will contact the church and see if it is possible to view the records they have on Thomas. Maybe they will have more info hopefully.