Author Topic: Roy Pomeroy, Film Director  (Read 5795 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roy Pomeroy, Film Director
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 April 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
Arthur T Hauser, bank clerk, died aged 21 in Cook County, Illinois on 2 Dec 1889 and was buried at Rose Hill Cemetery.

Jennette (senior) appears in Delaware with Miriam in the 1900 US census, enumerated as having had 8 children of whom only 2 are still living.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 April 13 14:05 BST (UK) »
Submitted tree here (unsourced so approach with caution):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MC69-KP8
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 April 13 14:51 BST (UK) »
Roy's 1908 passenger list is here (Roy was mistranscribed as Kay) - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JXGL-NWT  If you click on the link to go to the Ellis Island site, you can see the image of the passenger list for free with registration.  The place he was going to was on the second page.  His brother was not with him, although there is a 1916 passenger list for Arthur Jobbins-Pomeroy.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 April 13 19:16 BST (UK) »
Arthur's 1916 passenger list has him going to join his mother in Ohio.

It looks like Jeanette travelled to the US at least twice during that time frame:

1911 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JJKC-CZ2

1919 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J6QQ-YPX

Offline KateJean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
http://americanpomeroys.blogspot.com/2013/02/roy-jobbins-pomeroy-oscar-winner-and.html  This seems to indicate that Pomeroy was originally a middle name & Roy's stepfather was named James Bernard Scale.   

However, I found a passenger list for Roy from 1908 that lists his mother as Mrs. J. Pomeroy, 50 Grove End Rd., London.  ???

I am the author of this article. I work for the American Pomeroy Historic Genealogical Association. My co-researcher and I have put together a large file on Roy. There is a part two to this story which will be posted soon. It explains much more about Roy and why they used the name "Pomeroy". His Mother, Jeannette Shepard Hauser, was not married to a Pomeroy. Pomeroy was a family name that she used to start a business. She was known as "Mrs. Pomeroy" for her business, perhaps because she liked the sound of the name. She was also proud of her lineage-she was a descendent of General Seth Pomeroy, the American Revolutionary War hero. Amos Pomeroy Jobbins, her son with William Henry Jobbins, later went by Roy Pomeroy. His father died when he was very young, and he perhaps felt little connection to the name Jobbins, nor did he feel a connection to the name Scale, which was the last name of his step-father, to whom his mother was only married for a short time. There is more background on all of this in the article!

Offline KateJean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi jaybeedee

He may have married Sylvia in 1922 www.searchdictionaries.com/?q=Roy+Pomeroy+%28film+director%29 but he showed with Elizabeth in 1940 in LA:

Roy J Pomeroy 47 Inventor Technician, b. India
Elizabeth Pomeroy 46 wife b. Kentucky

How are you connected to his line?

Monica  :)

Sylvia Jewell was the stage name for Elizabeth Whittaker. Sylvia was an actress. She was born 11 March 1894 in Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky to C G Whittaker and Sarah Newman. She moved to New York to pursue an acting career, and that is where she met Roy Pomeroy, who had moved to the city to pursue the scenic arts. They both lived in the same neighborhood, and probably ran in the same circles. They were married in 1922 in Los Angeles, CA. Roy had no other wife. She was listed on his death certificate as his spouse.

Offline jaybeedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi KateJean
Thanks for the above info.  I have read your blog on Roy Pomeroy and cannot wait for the next installment.

My friends and I have amassed a pretty complete portfolio of the life of Roy's elder brother, Arthur William Jobbins-Pomeroy who's life was equally varied. Here is a snippet of info that you might like to add to the Roy story.

Roy's father, William Jobbins, was invalided back to England in 1895, but died at sea before the ship reached Suez.  http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/overseas/details/D/3179008?pf=1.

Presumably Jeanette and the 2 boys were on the same ship, but we cannot confirm this.

Offline MargoYoungman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 March 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I am a relative of the Pomeroy family in Jamaica. I am a daughter of Major Arthur William Pomeroy.
I would love to get more information on his other daughters. One of them owned Pats Flower Shop and has since died. However I do not know of the other sister, if she is still alive.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
If you are still persuing this story I would like more information. I live in Jupiter Florida.

Message posted on behalf of Margo who had sent me the post in error.

jaybee has been notified of your reply by email :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk