Author Topic: de Crespigny and Pencarreg  (Read 7210 times)

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
de Crespigny and Pencarreg
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have query regarding the Parish of Pencarreg,does any one know or has heard of the de Crespigny family and it's connection to the above.Also any knowledge of Rhosduon Tower,built by said family in said parish?Any help gratefully received.

Regards,David
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: de Crespigny and Pencarreg
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Apparently the de Crespigny family came from France around the time of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.(Annals and Antiquities of the County Families of Wales,page 707 at www.archive.org)
The ancestral line can be viewed on FamilySearch,genealogies tab,using search term "William" "de Crespigny"

Regards
Roger

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 13 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello David

You can read about the Family in the book Historic Carmarthenshire Homes & Their Families.

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your prompt replies,Omega-I have ordered a copy of the book and allthough I have already have the Cardiganshire companion volume never thought that this book could be useful too.Roger,again an useful reference at archive.org,it really is amazing what's out there in the blogosphere. Looks like I have some serious reading to do.

I feel I should underline though that it is the connection to Rhosduon Tower and the Parish of Pencarreg that intrigues me,as I believe that Rhosduon Tower[now demolished] was built on or near to farms that belonged to my ancestors. Further there is a tale that one of my ancestors was the illegitimate son of a De Crespigny! Lady Sarah de Crespigny has a memorial plaque on the wall of St. Patrick's church in Pencarreg and I believe that both her and her husband are buried here,but not funnily enough in a tomb.

Regards,David
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Davies-
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
This reference,which you have probably seen,says Sarah's husband built Rhosduon Tower circa 1820.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t9q/

Regards
Roger

Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen
See tips here, to avoid this:

Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello David :)

I wont spoil things by telling you what is in the Book,but i know you`ll be thrilled :).Happy Reading.

I am greedy & have the Cardiganshire & Pembrokeshire Books :)
They have helped me with my research,especially my Posh Phillipps line

Kind Regards

omega 
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 March 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roger,yes I had seen the reference,there are a few things on google but nothing you can get your teeth into.Lady Sarah's husband left instructions in his will apparently that he should be buried in St.Patrick's but not in a tomb or anything grand but with a modest gravestone the same as most of the others.This strikes me as curious,on 2 fronts- firstly why did he want to get buried here and not where he had other lands and secondly why the plain unadorned grave?

And thank you too Omega,looking forward to the book,as you say they are addictive reading,especially if you have any family connections that are mentioned in them.I noticed you have Gibby listed in your family connections,there were Gibby's around Lampeter,Ceredigion at one time.I believe they lived in Llanfair Clydogai though not certain if this.It was a very unusual surname to have in that part of the world.

Regards,David
Griffiths-
Davies-

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 March 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello David

I have got back to 5xGreatgrandfather( Gibby Line ) from Wiston,then New Moat & llangolmam,Pembs. :)
There were a lot of them,went forth & multiplied :)
3xGreatgrandfather is mentioned in the Pembs Book.

I hav`nt as yet found any in Lampeter,but you never now.Found some in America.
Thankfully they were Anglican .

Hope you Book comes ASAP

Kind Regards

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Omega,
                           The book has arrived,and as you say very interesting,next step,trip to Pencarreg church I think,as last night I also found out that my G. grandfather was buried there also,I doubt in the vault next to Lady Sarah but maybe out in the graveyard next to her husband!

The exciting thing about the Evans family in Pencarreg is you don't know what will turn up,and all kinds of odd things have happened.Still,I suppose that's true of most families.

Regards,David
Griffiths-
Davies-