Author Topic: de Crespigny and Pencarreg  (Read 7199 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: de Crespigny and Pencarreg
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello David

Thank you for letting me know,i had wondered if the Book had arrived.Just knew you would be thrilled.

I love Grave Hunting,some of the Headstones are so informative.

On my 3x Gibby Greatgrandparents Headstone,it had her Dads name,daughter of the Reverand David Griffith of Llanglydwen,i just jumped up & down with excitement ;D

Hopefully you will find more info on Headstones to.

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline rebecca_riots

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Braud Houdini/David

Just seen everyone's correspondence. If you are still interested... I have been doing a little bit of research on St Patricks Church for a friend and for a small local museum and possibly, if you are still interested, I have discovered where both Sarah and William are buried. (Not in the same churchyard at all)... also I am trying to discover where Rhosyduon Tower (various spellings) was or is. Did you manage to track down a copy of Sir William's will. What brought them to Pencarreg ? 
Was up near Blaenpadernin Farm today, and I am becoming convinced that Rhosydyon Tower is one and the same place - purely because a heavy hint is dropped in a sale advert dated 1830.
If you're still interested I would be happy to share this info. Re Sir William's will, would I be able to find it online.
Cheers, from very close to Pencarreg !
Jen

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 July 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Jen,
Sorry for the late reply,i have not visited roots chat for a while and it seems I am no longer notified of new answers to my posts for some reason. Since my first post on this topic I have visited St.Patrick's but was unable to view inside the church where I believe there is a plaque on the wall in remembrance of Lady Sarah. As far as I can ascertain she is buried in the crypt,as for William I am uncertain as to the whereabouts of his remains.
They came to Rhosduon Towers initially as there were funds provided for establishing lookout towers around Britain. The property is no longer there but the stones were used in the construction of Tower Hill farm[next to Blaenbydernyn]
My interest in these properties revolve around the fact that my Evans family lived here after the De'Crespignys and also that there is some connection between the two families.My ancestor Timothy Evans owned the estate and supposedly had access to the De'Crespigny's library before his purchase of said estate. He was a Surgeon and Apothecary and I guess had attended to Lady Sarah before her passing.
If you are local to this area and are researching connections you might be interested in knowing that the stones used to construct Rhosduon Tower came from the same quarry as the stones for St. David's college buildings in Lampeter.
I would be interested in seeing the sale advert of 1830,is it available on-line? If you would like a copy of Sir William's will pm me and I can send you one.
Cheers from some distance from Pencarreg'
Dafydd
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 July 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Dafydd
Not sure if Rootschat is functioning these days... so I have send you a private message ... please post a reply here if you don't get this.  Dearie me, AND it is raining sheep and goats, never mind cats and dogs ! 
Jen

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 July 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Dafydd, messages seem to be functioning this morning...
Here is the 1830 advert...
Yes, I did know the stones were also used for the college (but have a suspicion that they stopped using them) - I also have an alleged picture of the tower, but failed to make a note of where this came from.
Would love a copy of Sir Williams will. He was buried in Camberwell, also in 1830

Jen

Offline mongrel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 July 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Dafydd and Jen
I also have Timothy Davies / Blaenbydernin connections (Dafydd - I'm a cousin of Welsh Maid,and I think she passed on to you some of my diggings into Timothy's parents).  I'm interested in several of the things you've discussed recently in this topic, and wondering if you have more information you could pass on.  The first is Dafydd's reference to Timothy having access to the de Crespigny library - do you have any more information on that, and where that comes from? The second is about what happened to Rhosduon Tower.  Timothy Davies is listed as living there in the 1841 census, but at Blaenbydernin in 1851.  Does anyone know whether Rhosduon Tower became uninhabitable or what led to it being demolished?  Jen - any chance that you can share the picture of Rhosduon Tower?

Thanks, Deborah

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah, As far as I can make out Rhosduon Tower fell into ruins and the remains were either used as walls or gate entrances etc. Blaenbydernin is alive and well - I drove past a few months ago. I managed to find the alleged picture of Rhosduon Tower, but it is very dubious, and I failed to note its provenance so I won't pass it on. Lloyd, Orbach and Scourfield in their book on Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (Buildings of Wales Series) describe Rhosduon Tower as a “castellated toy fort, long demolished”. (p 363)
Elsewhere it is described as being part of Blaenbydernin, BUT the adverts appear to be describing a separate residence from the farm and  Francis Jones also thinks it was a separate dwelling.
Not much help I’m afraid... Hwyl - Jen

Offline mongrel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for passing on what you know! Deborah

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
The London Gazette, 10 Oct 1834 - page 1815

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/19200/page/1815

Welshnewspapers online

The Welshman, 11 Dec 1857 records the marriage of John Davies, Esq, of Rhosyduon, Lower Pencarreg.