Author Topic: Burials in Maker/Rame area  (Read 5919 times)

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Maker/Rame area
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 October 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
The following might be of some help. there's various bits of info on it - http://www.ramehistorygroup.org.uk/
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 October 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma
Thank you for the link. I had visited it before but it is always worth revisiting as they so add bits.

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 October 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The parish records for St Stephens in Saltash haven't been digitised but the microfiche are at Saltash Heritage.  Their email is
archivist@saltash-heritage.org.uk
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline cawsandboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:52 GMT (UK) »
just in case you still get reminders of postings - even this late, here's an image I picked up on ebay and grabbed a copy. No date but late 19thC?
Roger Collins
Rame Peninsula History Group

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Funny this should pop up. ;)

A few days before the last activity in this thread, October 2013, I closed the deal on a new house in a new city, and we moved here in early 2014.

The house isn't actually new -- circa 1880 to be exact -- and an elderly neighbour told me it was known as "the old Jagoe house". Mrs. Jagoe died here about 25 years ago, after living here from childhood (around 1905) with her mother and stepfather. Mr. Jagoe is the man she married and then stayed on in the house with to raise their family, nearly 80 years in the house altogether.

I've been trying to figure out where the family of Mr. Jagoe (birth reg as Jago in the mid-1890s in Canada) originated. His father (and his father's mother) show in censuses as born in Canada, but since I can't find his father's father's birth or marriage, or find him in a census, I'm stymied for the moment. I wonder how many John Jago(e)s were born in how many places 1830-1850ish. ;)

Anyway just amusing, who knows, maybe the Jago family who ended up in my house two or three generations later were neighbours of my StSbyS/Maker people and related to Hemmum's. :)

I hate Pinterest, but there is a photo there that was taken at the same place as the one of Capt Bob Jago:
"1900s Old CDV Real Photo Beautiful Victorian Girl Photographer Jno Hawke Devon | ebay"
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/261842165808105741/
I don't know whether that might help to date Capt Bob. Not a lot, I think.

However, I do think, from the mutton chops, that the date of the photo is more likely to be earlier in the 1800s, like the 1860s. And I would guess that Jonathan is an overreading of "Jno" and he was more likely just John.

And another photo at ebay dated as 1875.
https://tinyurl.com/ya5rzugd

Here is something about the photographer and dates:

http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/the-collection/detail/9267
A sepia portrait photo of Ensign E S Garratt in civilian clothes in 1867; ... Photographer; J N O Hawke, 53 Union Street, Stonehouse, Devon

(I distrust sellers' date estimates. I found a photo of my gr-grfather's sister on line showing her in costume as an actress, dated 15 years after the year she was actually on stage at the Adelphi in London.)

Edit - in the 1878 White's History, Gazetteer and Directory (and up to 1893 that I can see), John Hawke, photographer, is at 8 George St, Plymouth. I ran across a photo of those premises on line earlier but undated:
http://www.daveuptonphotography.co.uk/plymouth-hawkes-photographer-151#photo
"Hawke photographer's Old Studio.
8 George St."

Of course I have to say also: Absolutely follow the girls!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 March 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Parish records for St Stephens, Saltash have been transcribed by Saltash Heritage but they are not on the internet because we would lose donations which we rely on to keep the centre open.  However. I am more than happy to do any look ups and the index is searchable by name. Please email me at
archivist@saltash-heritage.org.uk and I will see what we have.
Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
Terrymo, thank you for that offer and I think I will take you up on it when I figure out just which of mine were in St Stephens by Saltash when!

Meanwhile, this thread spurred me on to delve a little more into "my" Jago(e)s in Ontario, more stuff being available on line all the time, and I discovered that one of mine was once a local mayor. :)

Still haven't figured out where they came from ... but it's interesting that he was married to someone with a fairly unusual surname that was the name of my ancestors from St Cleer.

... But rats, now I see that I did track him down last year, and his father was born in Ireland. (Hard enough to keep track of one's own family tree, let alone strangers'!)

And turns out it was a different Jago married to the woman with what I'd thought was my St Cleer ancestors' surname, but no, duh, it was my Kent ancestors' surname (they're similar ...), but she was from the unrelated Lancashire branch. I think I'll stick to my own tree for a while!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 March 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Might "Capt. Bob" have been an informal honorific?

1891, Robert Jago, born in Plymouth c1866, is a member of crew (stoker) on HMS Black Prince stationed in Devonport. He is also enumerated in Plymouth with his wife and parents-in-law, as a naval stoker.

In 1901, his wife Elizabeth and children are in Plymouth.

In 1911, he is Chief Stoker Pensioner, a caretaker, in Bath.

If so, my guess as to the date is the one that was way off. ;)

Probably son of Samuel Jago and Agnes Braginton, born 1865 East Stonehouse.