Author Topic: Byrnes or Byrns, Edgeworth Town  (Read 3679 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Byrnes or Byrns, Edgeworth Town
« on: Friday 22 March 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My 5xgf James Byrnes or Byrns, a pensioner from the 8th Light Dragoon Guards volunteered for garrison duty in the Colony of NSW arriving here with his wife, Frances (Fanny) nee Moorhouse or Morehouse in 1808 along with their son James junior born c1806; they apparently had another son, maybe named Henry, born around 1804 or earlier.

I have had no joy (though I am not that adapt at searching) finding a marriage of James & Fanny in County Longford, nor birth/baptismal record for James and his older brother.

I know that they were of the CofE and/or Wesleyan faith.

Any assistance much appreciated. Bonnie
PS Surname spelt BYRNES on Australian records and have full information about James junior, his parents and a younger brother William born in Australia in 1809 and their time in Australia.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Byrnes or Byrns, Edgeworth Town
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the transcripts on RootsIreland (pay-website) ?

They seem to have transcripts of CofI parish records for Edgeworthstown/Mostrim going back to about 1801..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 13 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanew147 ... ,have been on Rootsireland site and not only checked Longford, but all other areas with no luck.
From a previous topic, I was advised that a Mary Jane Byrns married a Samuel Dunbar at County Longford in 1817 with a possibility that their daughter was an Elizabeth (Frances) Dunbar baptised 1819 same county. An Elizabeth Frances Dunbar immigrated to Australia in 1846 and married in 1849 to a Captain Henry Courtenay Cayer at her Uncle's, James Byrnes, home in Parramatta.

Thanks again your reply. Bonnie

Offline nchaparr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 November 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnie

My great grandfather (born late 1800s) (and his father) were Edward Burns from near Ballymahon in Co. Longford.  There was ambiguity about their name ie it was sometimes spelled Byrns.  I believe they were RC, as that is what my mother is but there may have been a conversion somewhere (through marriage).  David Leahy has a good website on which it mentions Burns as a Methodist family name.

[http://homepage.eircom.net/~daveleahy/]

Hope this helps a bit.

Niamh 

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 November 13 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thx Niamh your message - will follow up on link provided.
Appreciated, Bonnie