Author Topic: Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.  (Read 27231 times)

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.
« on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Why is Gloucestershire conspicuous by its absence with online parish records? Is this simply because none of the main transcribing groups (FindMyPast, Ancestry etc) have yet got around to tackling them or have the records been vetoed by local historical groups? I have found some stuff on FamilySearch but for Gloucestershire it seems particularly inadequate and incomplete. Censuses have been the only useful bit so far but that is limited.

So frustrating in this day and age. I hate having to pay researchers to look up basic information which I can have the pleasure of seeking out. It's different when one hits a really big brick wall having to pay for research, that's quite acceptable, but not for everyday 'bread and butter' parish look ups!

Any suggestions or tangents that I don't know about or haven't come across?

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am a member of both Glos Family History Society (GFHS) and Glos Archives (GA) and do volunteer lookups for anyone on RootsChat.
Just post your data request.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that you can find, online, post-1837 BMDs for Gloucestershire at:-
ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 13 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your very kind offer  :D

Post 1837 GRO stuff is easy, although nowhere near as good or as informative as parish records, IMHO. Problem with GRO data is there are no guarantees that you are getting the correct person when there are several people with the same name in a similar time period or area, except through intense cerebral deduction and sometimes trial and error. What I love about being able to see original parish records is seeing all the other clues like witnesses, signatures, spellings of names, out of parish details etc. 

For Gloucestershire it's now before 1837 where I am needing information. What the GFHS has is so limited in the years available on CD or PDF (ie. if one can't visit their facility).....nothing before 1800!  :(

I'm assuming that to do lookups, you mean you are able to access pre-1800 Gloucestershire records?

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 13 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
If you look at all my 1,605 posts you will see that they are all lookups etc. I have never personally requested data on this site. Once again, just field your data request and I will endeavour to do a lookup for you during my twice weekly visits - Tuesday & Saturday.
I also hold quite a lot of Gloucestershire data at home.
Victor

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Although coverage for Glos is still patchy, don't forget http://www.freereg.org.uk/ Also, a site which is often recommended here if you are searching in the west of the county: http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

Jane
PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)

Offline reid2uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Gloucestershire is very far a way for me. Would you be able to do look ups for me?

I need help in finding a burial for Jame Gwynn who died on 21 Oct 1942 at The Infirmary Eastington, Gloucestershire, Aged 18 years old. His home address was 6 Woodcock Lane, Gloucestershire. His Occupation: General Labourer..

I have had help from a local Priest from the area and he has suggested St. Cyr's churchyard, in which case the details of the person, but not necessarily of the grave will be recorded in the Church burial registers.

There is also the possibility that a burial could have taken place at St. Michael and All Angels, Eastington or possibly at a non-conformist Church, the only one of which had a burial ground in Stonehouse was the Congregational Church in the High Street (now demolished).

I phoned  Gloucester City Council for Gloucestershire burials & Cremations and they checked Tredworth Road Cemetery & Coney Hill Cemetery - James Gwynn not found.

They suggested I should call Gloucestershire Family History Society for help.
I spoke to a lovely lady from their and she said that because he died in Eastington and lived nr Stonehouse, I should try the churches for Stroud. As there are no cemeteries covering his area.

Just to be able to locate his grave would give great relief to my aunt.

If you could help with this research you would be making a little old lady very happy.

If I am able to help you in anyway. Please let me know. I live in Dagenham, Essex. I often go to Newham, Havering & Barking & Dagenham Archives. If I can assist you in these areas please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Angie

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
To Victor.
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me whether the GFHS PDF/CD's are as universally comprehensive for pre-1837 Gloucestershire Parish BMD's as the advertising makes out?

While I make up my mind about whether I purchase them, considering the short number of years covered, may I ask whether you could look up something for me?

Would it be possible to do a lookup on whether a Phillip and Charlotte BURBRIDGE (nee Fellsteed) who married on 17/08/1801 in Didbrook had a daughter named Jemima baptised in Winchcombe on 1/08/1824? FamilySearch do not list a Jemima as one of their children. The children listed are Sarah bapt. 16/05/1802 Didbrook; Esther 10/11/1805 Toddington; Richard 9/02/1808 Toddington; Phillip 30/12/1810 Toddington and Leigh 1/11/1812, Toddington.

Also............as I cannot find the information anywhere else.....Charlotte's parent's names? Charlotte FELLSTEED was born circa 1784 in Prestbury, Gloucestershire.

I won't push the envelope and ask for more....lol.

Many thanks.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angie,
Source: Glos Archives (GA) P316 IN 1/40, St Cyr, Stonehouse, Glos GL10 3QP
James GWYNN of Stonehouse buried October 24th, 1942, aged 18 years.
I can't sort your 2nd data request now, but will do a few lookups at GA on my next visit and get back to you.
p.s. I can find NO record of a FELLSTEED marriage in Prestbury prior to Charlotte's birth in 1784.
Baptisms at St Andrew, Toddington
Phillip & Charlotte BURBRIDGE, a Cordwainer of Toddington:-
25/06/1815, Charlotte
06/07/1817, Harriet
29/08/1819, Simeon (son)
Baptisms at St Peter, Winchcombe
Phillip & Charlotte BURBRIDGE, a Cordwainer of Winchcombe:-
07/04/1822, Caroline Amelia
01/08/1824, Jemima
30/12/1827, Ann Maria
Victor  :)