Author Topic: suffolk victoria nursing institute  (Read 5456 times)

Offline plaza1657

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
suffolk victoria nursing institute
« on: Sunday 24 March 13 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello from southport
can any one help please,Ive just found out my father was born in Suffolk Victoria nursing institute .7 lower brook street Ipswich ip4 iag in 1922,this place is now private flats,can anyone give me details about this place and is it possible to find early records about this home,many many thanks.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: suffolk victoria nursing institute
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 13 09:00 GMT (UK) »
The Ipswich Nurses' Home was founded in 1874 to provide trained nursing under supervision for the sick poor in their own homes free of charge: attached to this institution there is a staff of trained private nurses for medical, surgical and monthly cases; in 1903 a new home in Lower Brook Street was presented by Mr. John Martineau, to be called "The Suffolk Victoria Nursing Institute" and to which the Ipswich Nurses' Home has been transferred; it was opened on May 9th. by H.R.H. the Princess Christian;.........A branch was opened in Fonnereau Road in 1904 for medical and surgical cases, where paying patients are received. Kelly's Directory of Suffolk, 1912

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
This is the building on Google Street view http://goo.gl/maps/rrkta

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ditch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 13 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I lived at 7 Lower Brook Street whilst training to be a midwife - 1968 -69 (I think!) it was the accommodation for student midwives training for 6 months on the community. The first 6 months took place at Heath Road in Ipswich. Most mum's had their babies at home then.

On the other side, on the same site, was the Nursing Home which accommodated mother's who delivered there and stayed for 10 days or so. It was NHS for those who didn't medically / obstetrically require a hospital bed. Not sure where the records would be, sad the whole area is now flats.

Mary.
O'Neill - Co. Clare, Ireland, Framlingham, Bury-St-Edmunds, Halesworth.
Vice, Vyce - Framlingham.

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
If you look on the A2A website under 'Ipswich Group Hospital(s) management committee records' it gives a list of those held by Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich branch. It may be helpful, if only to exclude them from your search!
I was born pre NHS at Ipswich Maternity Home, Wingfield Street, as was my daughter several yrs later under the NHS. I believe this is the Nursing Home to which Mary refers to as being in the same grounds as 7 Lower Brook St.
In 1978 when I  worked in Lower Brook St, number 7 was occupied by a firm of solicitors called 'Josslyns'.

Hephzibah

PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Diane Blue

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
If you look on the A2A website under 'Ipswich Group Hospital(s) management committee records' it gives a list of those held by Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich branch. It may be helpful, if only to exclude them from your search!
I was born pre NHS at Ipswich Maternity Home, Wingfield Street, as was my daughter several yrs later under the NHS. I believe this is the Nursing Home to which Mary refers to as being in the same grounds as 7 Lower Brook St.
In 1978 when I  worked in Lower Brook St, number 7 was occupied by a firm of solicitors called 'Josslyns'.

Hephzib
hello I was born at this home in 1961 do u no if there is any photos of this