Author Topic: Wallis/Wallace County Tyrone  (Read 5886 times)

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallis/Wallace County Tyrone
« on: Monday 25 March 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I'm brand new to the site so hope I am doing this correctly. I'm researching my husband's ancestors and am at my wits end ! I have mountains of 'bits' of information including some dates, census returns etc but can't tie it all together. Does that make sense?

Here's what I know for sure. My husband's great-grandfather was William Nixon and he was railway station master (Castlerock?). He married Mary Wallis/Wallace in 1872 at Molesworth 3rd Presbyterian Church. According to marriage record Mary's father was Thomas Wallis/Wallace. We know he also was a railway station master (possibly either/or Randalstown/Cookstown). This has just been confirmed by finding an inscribed pocket watch from 1850's.

We are completely stuck at this point as all three people we have mentioned were born pre-Civil Registration. We noticed that at the time of the 1901 census a Thomas Wallis (age 58) living in Cookstown was a station master but we don't think this was my husband's GG Grandfather as the timeline couldn't be right.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be very grateful.
Regards
Julia :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallis/Wallace County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 13 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. The following might be of interest-

Aghadowey Presbyterian Church baptisms- parents William Nixon & Mary Wallace:
Martha born 1 Feb.1881 bapt. 11 May 1882
Mary Anne born Jan.1883 bapt. 23 May 1883
Margaret Wallace born 13 Apr.1884 bapt. 14 July 1884

Aghadowey Presbyterian Church, committee meeting notes, 3 Jan.1882: Mr. Craig applied on behalf of Mr. Nixon the station master for two sittings.

From notes I see that a Thomas Butler was stationmaster at Aghadowey in May 1881 and a Samuel Thompson by 5 May 1893.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 13 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi. That's a great start thank you! These three ladies are definitely great aunts of my husband but we didn't know their exact dates of birth or date/place of baptism. Much appreciated.
Julia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 13 13:56 GMT (UK) »
1901 directory- Castlerock: Post Office, Railway Station - William Nixon, postmaster
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT1901c1.htm

1910 Ulster Directory- Castlerock: Railway Station—William Nixon, stationmaster
http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Castlerock.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
1852 Randalstown- Wallis, Thomas, railway station master and parish clerk
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT_Cpage545.htm

"Probate of the Will of Thomas Wallis late of Cookstown County Tyrone Railway Station Master who died 28 January 1906 granted at Armagh to Margaret Wallace the Widow." see www.proni.gov.uk to read Will

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this Thomas Wallis could be a brother of Mary Wallace (m. William Nixon)?
1901 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Cookstown/Molesworth_St_/1728894
1906 Will for Thomas Wallis posted previously.
1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton__Belfast_Urban_No__2/Kansas_Avenue/134524

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
It would be great if Mary and Thomas were brother and sister and it is possible although I have no proof. The Thomas Wallis PRONI will is, I believe a generation back so maybe their father? According to LDS death record for said will, Thomas Wallis died on 28/01/1906 age 63 (which corresponds precisely with 1901 Molesworth Street, Cookstown census). I find it odd that possibly both father and son were station masters but I suppose it's not impossible. I need to do whatever I can now to find records/family for the Thomas Wallis who was station master at Randalstown in 1852.

I'm impressed at the speed at which you supplied all that information so thanks again.

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 13 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a bit more information. There is a* possibility* that the Thomas Wallis I am trying to trace married Mary Malcolm at Randalstown Church of Ireland in 1931. I live in Cheshire now so apart from visiting PRONI does anyone know of another way of accessing the Church records for this marriage or subsequent children? Thank you.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 March 13 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I live in Cheshire now so apart from visiting PRONI does anyone know of another way of accessing the Church records for this marriage or subsequent children? Thank you.

You could write to the Vicar in Randalstown (Rev Derek Kerr) and ask him if he will look the records up for you. (The Church of Ireland normally charges a fee for this type or work. If the Vicar does it himself the published rate is £19 an hour).

For the marriage you could ring GRONI and order a copy of the marriage certificate. You can pay over the phone. They’ll also have the details of any children to that couple but you would need to ask them whether they would search for those for you. And if they do there will likely be a search fee in addition to the cost of any certs found.
Elwyn