Author Topic: Wallis/Wallace County Tyrone  (Read 5891 times)

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallis/Wallace County Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 March 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, it's worth considering. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 March 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you not mean Thomas Wallis married Mary Malcolm in 1831?

Note: the Thomas Wallis who died 1831 had a son Hugh Malcolm Wallis.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 March 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Oops, getting my centuries mixed up sorry. Yes I meant that the Thomas Wallis I'm searching for might have married a Mary Malcolm in 1831 in Randalstown. The Thomas Wallis on the 1901 census in Molesworth Street (possibly a son) was married to (I believe) Margaret Glenn and they did have a son called Hugh Malcolm WALLIS.

Coincidentally, at the marriage of William Nixon/Mary Wallis one of the witnesses was Hugh Wallis so possibly another brother?

I don't want to try to make things fit that don't, if you know what I mean. Hopefully there will be someone out there who knows the families I'm referring to !

Thanks again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 March 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Wallis (c1848 Co.Antrim-1906), stationmaster, m. Margaret Glenn (c1847 Derry City-1929). In 1911 she was in Belfast with some of the children.
"Wallis Margaret of 6 Willowbank Gardens Belfast widow died 14 May 1929 at Belfast Probate Belfast 22 August to Thomas Alexander Wallis engineer and surveyor and John William Lillie clerk of Down mental hospital. Effects £664 6s. 6d." Note: daughter Mary's married name Lillie.

Son- James Glenn Wallis (1879 Co.Tyrone) 1901- medical student
birth https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP7M-L46
1911- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XW7C-4F6

Daughter- Mary Glenn Wallis (c1882 Co.Tyrone) m. John William? Lillie.
Lillie Mary Glenn of Russells Quarter Downpatrick county Down married woman died 13 November 1929 Probate Belfast 15 March to John William Lillie clerk of Down Mental Hospital. Effects £7 10s.

Son- Hugh Malcolm Wallis (c1886 Co.Tyrone), railway clerk 1911.
1901 census
http://livinghistory.med.utoronto.ca/people/hugh-malcolm-wallis
Obituary of Hugh Malcolm Wallis, son of Hugh Malcolm & Mary Wallis-

Daughter- Isabella Catherine Wallis (c1888 Co.Tyrone-aft.1911).

Daughter- Margaret Lockyer Wallis (c1889 Co.Tyrone-aft.1911).

Son?- William Garde Wallis (c1884 Co.Tyrone)
1901 census- with Hugh Malcolm Wallis

Wallis Margaret Glenn of Castle Leckey Magilligan county Londonderry died 23 August 1931 Probate Belfast 16 October to reverend Thomas McElfatrick presbyterian clergyman. Effects £31.

Offline julia.n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 March 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - how do you gather all that so fast? ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 March 13 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Years of practice  ;) May have more information on Wallis family in my files which I will look for later.

Offline wallisglenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
The Thomas Wallis who was stationmaster at Cookstown was my maternal great grandfather (died 1906) and the Thomas Wallis who was stationmaster at Randalstown (born in 1809, died 1876) was, indeed, his father.

The Margaret Glenn in Kansas Avenue in the 1911 census was the widow of Thomas Wallis of Cookstown, and the Mary "Glannel" Lillie was actually the Mary Glenn, daughter of Margaret and Thomas, who was my grandmother.

The William "Garde" Wallis in the 1901 census was probably a transcription error for William Scott Wallis, who was by 2 years Hugh Malcolm's elder brother. Neither of them are recorded in Cookstown that night, and I believe that they were away at boarding school.  That Hugh Malcolm, father of the Hugh Malcolm with the 2011 obit in Toronto, moved to Canada and died in 1957 by family records.

For Julia.n: William Nixon attended the 1906 funeral of the Cookstown Thomas Wallis and was listed as his son in law.

For agahadowey:  Margaret Lockyer died in Belfast in 1976. Isabella Catherine married Robert Henry Gilliland and died in 1948.  I knew their daughter Patricia, who married David Hodges.  She died of Alzheimer's, maybe 10 years ago.

Offline wallisglenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
1852 Randalstown- Wallis, Thomas, railway station master and parish clerk
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT_Cpage545.htm

"Probate of the Will of Thomas Wallis late of Cookstown County Tyrone Railway Station Master who died 28 January 1906 granted at Armagh to Margaret Wallace the Widow." see www.proni.gov.uk to read Will
The Thomas Wallis who was station master at Randalstown in 1852 died in 1876 near Bath, England.  He was the father of the Thomas Wallis, station master at Cookstown, who died in 1906

Offline wallisglenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 03:03 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Wallis who was stationmaster at Cookstown was my maternal great grandfather (died 1906) and the Thomas Wallis who was stationmaster at Randalstown (born in 1809, died 1876) was, indeed, his father.

The Margaret Glenn in Kansas Avenue in the 1911 census was the widow of Thomas Wallis of Cookstown, and the Mary "Glannel" Lillie was actually the Mary Glenn, daughter of Margaret and Thomas, who was my grandmother.

The William "Garde" Wallis in the 1901 census was probably a transcription error for William Scott Wallis, who was by 2 years Hugh Malcolm's elder brother. Neither of them are recorded in Cookstown that night, and I believe that they were away at boarding school.  That Hugh Malcolm, father of the Hugh Malcolm with the 2011 obit in Toronto, moved to Canada and died in 1957 by family records.

For Julia.n: William Nixon attended the 1906 funeral of the Cookstown Thomas Wallis and was listed as his son in law.

Sorry, misread--William Nixon was the brother in law of Thomas Wallis, not son in law.

For agahadowey:  Margaret Lockyer died in Belfast in 1976. Isabella Catherine married Robert Henry Gilliland and died in 1948.  I knew their daughter Patricia, who married David Hodges.  She died of Alzheimer's, maybe 10 years ago.