Author Topic: Severnes of Derby  (Read 21440 times)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Severnes of Derby
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 April 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
Efjs - thats very interesting about the graves - most illuminating and thanks for letting us know.

Offline Silmaril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 April 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Edmund
That's very very interesting! I had been unable to find the location of the Severne burials, so this means a return visit to Derby is called for... thank you so much for this piece of information.

Offline cathjeffries

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 April 13 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have been tracking down Francis Leigh Severne for my family tree. I am not related to Francis but when he sailed to New Zealand the nanny/governess to his children was Bridget Walsh - who is my direct ancestor. Unfortunately I know very little about Bridget's family so I thought that in tracking down Francis I might learn more about where exactly in Cong, County Mayo Bridget was from. I know that Francis and his family, along with Bridget emmigrated to New Zealand in 1864 on the Violet. The ships passenger list includes the following names:
The Severne family (Steerage Passengers)
Francis
Caroline
Herbert
Frederick
Francis
Maud
Emma
Barry

Details about the barque Violet 496 tons
VIOLET - 1864
Master: Captain Wiseman
Rigging: Ship; sheathed in felt and yellow metal in 1864; fastened wit copper bolts
Tonnage: 496 tons
Dimensions: 143 feet long, 27.5 foot beam and holds 18.2 feet deep.
Construction: 1853 in Sunderland; some repairs in 1864.
Owners: Birleys & Co.
Port of registry: Liverpool
Port of survey: London
Voyage: sailed for New Zealand and China

The Violet left London on 14 Mar 1984 and arrived in Nelson, New Zealand on 6 July 1864.

From the Colonist in 1900 I found the following entry about Francis Severne:
Death of an Old Settler,— The "Pelorus Guardian" announces the death of Mr Francis Severne, at the age of eighty-eight years. Deceased was born at Derby, England, 1812, where for some years he practised the profession of the law. His profession not being congenial, he relinquished it, and entered into farming pursuits in County Mayo, Ireland, subsequently coming to New Zealand by the Violet, arriving in Nelson in 1864. In the Nelson province he held the positions of State school teacher, first at Riwaka and afterwards at Takaka; and in 1874, was appointed to the Havelock School, from which position he resigned in 1882. He held the position of Justice of the Peace for some years, but took no active part in local or colonial politics, his disposition being of a literary nature, and his recreation the study of astronomy, the rod, and gun, in the two latter of which he was a true sportsman. Whilst in England, Mr Severne published two books on legal subjects, and a volume entitled " 'The Garland of Verse"; in this Colony he has also published three volumes of poems.
Source: Colonist, Volume XLIII, Issue 9857, 2 August 1900, Page 2

If you have any information about Francis Severne in Ireland I would be most interested.

Thanks.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 April 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
Just been googling the church at Elvaston - seems quite a few graves - the image in the link even shows part of a Severn grave - have tantalizing!
http://www.geolocation.ws/v/I/5619272623948757793-5619272620696944754/when-you-walk-around-the-grounds-of/en

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 April 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
Cath - thanks for the sailing information - unfortunately I have info on Francis Leigh in Wales but not afterwards when he is in Ireland.
But you never know what might turn up here as we are amassing quite a bit already.

Offline Silmaril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Just found the following - looks like Elizabeth Gibbs got away with it ...

http://www.welshlegalhistory.org/felons-register-search.php?func=showrecord&srch_id=10237

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I had found one entry but not that one!

Offline Silmaril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 November 13 23:07 GMT (UK) »
This attachment is an updated version of "Bloodline" and continues with the crossing of the Severne line with that of the Lucas' ...

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 November 13 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. 

Looks very interesting but a bit late to read now.

Will have to get my 'Severne' head back on in the morning and have a good read.  .