Author Topic: Severnes of Derby  (Read 21438 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Severnes of Derby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is connection:-

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Spendldove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I had come across that link before but could not find anything. 

The ones I am used to are laid out much differently.

Offline Silmaril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 March 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching the Severne's of Derby for some weeks and it has proved to be fascinating stuff ...

With regards to Thomas Herbert Severne and Mary Ann CROCOMB I can contribute the following ...

Francis and Louisa’s son Thomas Herbert Severne, born around 1826, made the journey to Nottingham on 18th October 1842 with Mary Ann Crocomb, who was also under 21 years of age. There, Mary falsely swore an affidavit to the effect that they were both over 21, procured a marriage licence from a Nottingham surrogate named Mr. Almond and underwent the ceremony that same day without the knowledge or consent of Thomas’ widowed mother. On learning of the under age marriage Louisa went to the courts so that …

… it might be declared that M.A.Severne [nee Crocomb], having offended as aforesaid, had forfeited all estate, right, title and interest in any property which had accrued or should accrue to her by force of the said marriage; and that all proper directions might be given by the Court for securing all such estate, right, title and interest for the benefit of T. Severne and the issue of the said marriage, or some of them, in such manner as the Court should think fit, for the purpose of preventing the said M.A. Severne from having any interest in any real or personal estate, or any pecuniary benefit from the same marriage.

In other words, Louisa did not want Mary to benefit in the slightest from the legacy that Thomas would receive on him reaching the age of 21. The case is covered by the Law Journals where the arguments for and against are discussed at length but, frustratingly, the conclusion of the hearing was to adjourn (to some later unspecified date) so that all parties may have time to acquire and present further evidence.

I have attached a narrative of my findings so far which includes some historical context ...

Please feel free to challenge and/or contribute.

Cheers.

Offline Silmaril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 March 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Another attempt to post the attachment ...

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 March 13 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Silmaril -thanks ever so much for your very interesting contribution - that is very enlightening about MARY ANN.

Thanks also for the attachment which I have opened ok and will read carefully later on and will forward to the gentleman who is also researching the family.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 March 13 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Silmaril - that is a very interesting article on the Severnes and you have obviously worked hard on sorting them out.  Are they connected with your family?

I cannot find any problems with what you have written.  I live not far from where Francis Severne lived at Craig Y Borrian in Amroth parish. 

You have me intrigued at the end of your article though - who was Millicent Lucas??

I knew of the 'Wooden Horse' story and used to think as you did that it was just the woman who got dragged round the village, however I have recently found another newspaper cutting that states that Francis was also dragged round - the full article is online at http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3054165/ART11/rebecca%20riot

Thomas Herbert's wife Mary Ann was poisoned in Laugharne in 1850 and there are also many newspaper articles on that:
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3053265/ART17/laugharne

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3089843/ART33/poison%20laugharne

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3089851/ART4

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3053256/ART18/poison%20laugharne

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3053296/ART25/poison%20laugharne

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/686707

Gravestone of Mary Ann Severne in Laugharne

This is the grave of Mary Ann Severne of Brixton Farm, Laugharne. In September 1850 Mrs Severne's body was exhumed after her cook, Betsy Gibbs, was suspected of being responsible for her death and that of her maid, Rebecca Uphill. The Coroner confirmed that their deaths was due to arsenic poisoning.
   © Copyright Alan Richards

Offline Silmaril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 March 13 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Crunwere

Thanks for your reply with the links to very interesting newspaper articles.

Yes, I believe that I am related to the Severne's. Millicent Lucas (a daughter of Daniel Lucas, landscape painter of porcelain ware) is my great, great, great grandmother. Her illegitimate son Henry De Milt Lucas acquired the Clarke surname at the same time that she did on her marriage (10 years later) to another Henry - Henry John Clarke. The Lucas household in Traffic Street (Derby) was just around the corner from Osmaston Road, where lived the Severne's. Although the column for the father's surname is blank on Henry De Milt's birth certificate, on his baptism record his father's profession is given as jeweller. Although not absolute proof, the very unusual middle name (De Milt), the profession and the proximity of the two households are highly supportive of such a possibility. And there was also the practice of giving illegitimate children the fore- and/or second names of their fathers if they were to be denied their father's surname.

I will attempt to unpload a tree for the Severne's, although not complete just yet.

May I enquire of your interest with the Severne family?

Regards

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 March 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Silmaril - its amazing how things come together when a few people combine efforts!

I see what you mean about your ancestor Henry De Milt Lucas - a bit too much of a coincidence really - as it is such an unusual name.

Unfortunately I have no family connection.  I am secretary of a local history society in the village near to where Francis Leigh Severne was living and we found the story of the Ceffyl Pren fascinating.  Then when the more detailed article was available online the other day i started to follow it up again. 

Then online I made the acquaintance of the gentleman who was researching the Laugharne Severne poisoning (again he is not related to the Severnes either) - but we found that the two Severne gentlemen were brothers so decided to pool our resources and see what we could find.  Which has been a great deal thanks to everyone's help.

Offline Edmund f j s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 April 13 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Crunwere just outside of Derby there is a place called Elvaston Castle , its a country park that used to be owned by the "Earl of Harrington" it now belongs at the moment to Derbyshire County Council ,now in the grounds there is a small church and in the church yard there are quite a few grave stones with the name of "Severn" or "Severne" on them , i can`t quite remember , i hope this is of some help...........edmund.. :)
FOSS-derby.  HUNT-belper.  STANTON-horsley woodhouse. WALLIKER-marylebone london.PINTO pescopagano Italy.