Author Topic: luke kelly kilkeevan castlerea  (Read 7686 times)

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
luke kelly kilkeevan castlerea
« on: Tuesday 26 March 13 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a Doctor luke kelly of Castlerea who was a doctor in the 1830s and his father edmund kelly who was the local doctor in Loughlyn, according to a Poor Law report .I was wondering if anyone else has any information on them as i want to include/exclude them from my family tree. An edmund kelly married  a Kate o grady in 1861 in swinford.father was Luke kelly. I know my g.g grandfather was born in roscommon(1901 census) and i am trying to make a connection .

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: luke kelly kilkeevan castlerea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

does the marriage certificate have Luke Kelly's occupation?  There is a death for a Luke Kelly 65 yrs in Swineford in 1871  :-\
Just realised that Luke Kelly would probably not be in Swineford. There is a Luke Kelly death aged 84 yrs in 1878 Castlereagh.
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 16:44 GMT (UK) »
thanks heywood for reply. the marriage record i looked up on family search did not refer to occupation.I will check out the death record you mentioned at roscommon heritage centre( i presume)I have a baptism record of an edmund kelly 1829 ,father called luke ,foughill which is about 4 miles outside castlerea.(ch of ireland kilkeevan).Wondered if doctors lived in countryside at this time.Interested in previous posts concerning local ch of ir. graveyard and if any kellys buried there.The family had some connection with "o conor " as the eldest boy called himself charles luke o conor kelly.This is a bit of a mystery to me and would love if someone could throw some light on same.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 11:02 GMT (UK) »
The Pigot & Co., City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824)
lists Luke Kelly Surgeon at Castlerea under Professional gentlemen;
also listed in Edmund Kelly, apothecary.

Link to their apothecary licensing on Nov 17 1815 from the Return of Persons examined and certified as Qualified by Apothecaries' Hall in Dublin, and Number of Prosecutions, 1791-1829.
This could imply that they were brothers rather than father and son

This is a link to detail on Charles Luke O’Conor Kelly which may be yours but if not could be useful

It states that his parents were Edmund and Kathleen both deceased at 1890

Reference to a famous Co. Roscommon Edmund Kelly who lived at Rockbrook 1765-1845

Sarah Kelly’s Story
Reference to Edmund Kelly’s family home

Griffiths Valuation for Kilkeevin shows a Luke Kelly in Foughil
There are references in Court records of a Luke Kelly of Foughill who was a labourer,
so possibly not your doctor, but worth confirming

Some of this information may link in with your own and hopefully helps
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks myluck.Your link on apothecaries has thrown up some good information. I have found the family-edmund, luke and charles -Iin low park mayo in 1792-1797. I believe this is charlestown not too far away.They must have moved to castlerea in the 1820s as all three names are there.T hey are not listed in Slaters directory of 1840s so they must have moved on again.I did find a reference to a Luke kelly ships surgeon from roscommon on a pension list so it may be possible he joined up.The other links i know of.The reason i think they may be family is that a James o grady was  an apothecary in Tavrane(found on list) and he is the father of kate who married edmund charles kelly in 1861.Her brother francis ,also a doctor married a sister of doctor Dillon in ballaghaderreen.So i fee lthey may have married people involved in medicine.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 March 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
That does sound promising; the 1815 listing and Picot's 1824 places Luke with a Castlerea address for at least those 9 years.
Charlestown is about 25 miles from Castlerea depending on the route and also close to Swinford that was also mentioned
Perhaps your Edmund or Luke once treated my ancestors! Best of luck searching
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 13 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again.If anyone is interested here is a link to the poor law report
1830s.My luke kelly is critical of the local gentry so it may not have helped him.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=siNDAAAAcAAJ&pg=RA2-PA11&dq=dr+kelly+castlerea&hl=en&sa=X&ei=onQAT-TLOIXNhAfhoLHLAQ&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=dr%20kelly%20castlerea&f=false

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 March 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
That was very interesting as my ancestors would have been living around Loughglynn and Castlerea at the time he and Edmund were there. They probably could not have afforded doctors and dispensaries but Luke's description of the conditions are worth my noting.
Edmund is listed on page 13 in Loughglynn in case you didn't notice.
Further generations:

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 December 15 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on research. Dr luke walter kelly born in 1802. Md Edinburgh 1825. First child born in 1830. Seemingly first wife died and he joined the army in 1832 as  a surgeon He remarried in london and was posted to Ceylon in 1837 .His children were edmund( first family) ,emily louisa,henrietta and henry richard (second marriage) .Thanks to Heather for all her hard searching.Would love to hear from others with these names in family. Still searching for name of his first wife (maybe campbell or o conor).Any help appreciated.