Author Topic: luke kelly kilkeevan castlerea  (Read 7649 times)

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: luke kelly kilkeevan castlerea
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
Just to update followers of this topic.Louie Henry kelly started a tea plantation in 1870  in Ceylon.He named it after his fathers birth place-"castlereagh" .There is also a Lake Castlereagh beside the plantation.Pictures of this beautiful location can be found on Ceylon tea trails. Its amazing that a family so far away still felt a connection with county roscommon even if they may have never visited?.Once again thanks to Heather for this information.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update edkelly

It is indeed interesting to consider a family in the exotic climes of 1800s Ceylon naming their property after a small town in the west of Ireland - compelling little place, my old home, with amazing history and links to
 - the first president of Ireland
 - the ancestors of Oscar Wilde
 - the ancestral home of the O'Conor Don, who is a direct descendant of the last High King of Ireland,
       Ruaidrķ Ua Conchobair/Rory O'Conor
 - RIC Sgt. James King was the last person shot in the Irish War of Independence (allegedly).
       He died in Castlerea on St. Patrick Street on July 11 1921 the day the truce  was declared.....
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Further update.Just returned fro Church of ireland library in Churchtown.Here i was given the church records in two volumes for kilkeevan for the years 1750-1850.My mystery as to why my family called themselves o conor kelly.Dr luke Kelly first wife wasMaria elizabeth o Conor daughter of Roderick o Connor of Milton.I then consulted Burkes history of the landed gentry page 524 and here she is mentioned as marrying Dr kelly.You can trace her family backtool roderick o Connor -Captain Bryan o Connor and all the way to turloch mor king of ireland 1156

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 August 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update edkelly - great research
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline jgspenc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 22:46 BST (UK) »
I come to this chat very late but can share some information about Luke Kelly from his time in Ceylon
Luke attended Medical School at Trinity College Dublin and spent time studying in Edinburgh, He apprenticed with his father Edmund for five years
Luke married his second wife Mary Emily Shuttleworth in St Marys Marylebone London on 9th July 1832, they had six children namely :
Louisa Lillee born 17/1/1835
Frederick William born 11/1/36
Luke Frederick born 1838 died Matale  25/11/1888
Emily Maria Campbell, died at Perak
Henrietta Maria born 1/6/1841
Lillee Henry Richard born 15/10/1842

Luke died in Colombo 11/10/1842  four days before the birth of his youngest son and was buried in Galle Face burial ground, Colombo

Lukes second wife had six children under seven years of age when Luke died, she remarried Lt Alfred John Douglas Smith who was friends with Luke in the Army, the six children kept their Kelly surname

Lillee Kelly, Lukes youngest son was my great grandfather. He started growing Coffee at an Estate in Dickoya, retired to England as a JP then back to Ceylon when the coffee was wiped out to replant with Tea. He also planted a Tea Estate that he called Killarney in Bogawantalawa. I speculate that there is some connection with the Kelly family and Killarney, co Kerry, but I have not been able to track this down.
Most of the Castlereagh Estate was flooded in the 1960s to form a reservoir but the Killarney Estate still exists and Douglas Kelly lived there all his life until he died there in 1967, the last of the Kellys in Ceylon