Author Topic: South Africa Birth Marriage & Death records?  (Read 13115 times)

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Africa Birth Marriage & Death records?
« on: Wednesday 27 March 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help in trying to trace a Death record and a marriage record in south Africa for a deceased relative who were called Nellie Louise DONAHUE or Nellie Louise JACKSON nee BRENKLEY born 8th December 1921 in Oswestry Shropshire married a G I from California USA on 4th December 1942 called Charles Donahue and remarried to a guy with the surname JACKSON possibly in South Afirca. Have traced Nellie arriving Southampton from South Africa in 1949 and returning in 1950. Does anyone know of any South African sites that can help me. We know she is now deceased but not sure as we cant get records for south Africa?

Many Thanks

Daniel

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa Birth Marriage & Death records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 13 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Depends on when she died and whether she left an estate.
I have looked on http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl which is the online catalogue for South African archives - cant see any records
If she deied in the last 20 years then you would need to apply to the BMD - you would probably need to know where she died and the process may take many months.
Another way would be to tray and search local newpapers for a notice about her death or a notice of the winding up of her estate. The latter would be published in the Government Gazette - there is a website that has Gazettes http://www.greengazette.co.za/# = it requires a membership
Gillian

WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help in trying to trace a Death record and a marriage record in south Africa for a deceased relative who were called Nellie Louisa DONAHUE or Nellie Louisa JACKSON (nee BRENKLEY) born 8th December 1921 in Oswestry Shropshire, first daughter of Henry BRENKLEY and Elsie May BRENKLEY (nee BURGESS). Nellie Married a G I on 4th December 1942 in REPTON, DERBYSHIRE, called Charles DONAHUE and been told she got re-married to a guy with the surname JACKSON probably in SOUTH AFRICA?
Have traced Nellie arriving Southampton from South Africa in 1949 and returning in 1950, her address at the time was 9 Park Road, Chelmsford, Essex.
Does anyone know of anything that can help me. We know she is probably now deceased but not sure as we cant get records for south Africa or anymore records from England.

Many Thanks

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found the following estate file for a Harry Jackson who was married to a Nellie at the National Archives.  Not sure if it is your Nellie.  If you wish to order the death notice I suggest you do it through eggsa.org.  It will take between 4 - 6 weeks but is quicker and more reliable than doing it through the archives.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 10749/69                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          JACKSON, HARRY.                                                       
STARTING  19690000                                                             
ENDING    19690000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE NELLIE JACKSON
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for that, would you be able to look up anything else for me, maybe Nellie left an estate herself, I know she moved to South Rhodesia in 1950, could you look for a Nellie Louisa Jackson and could look for Nellie Louisa Donahue just in case, and if she did leave an estate her sister Lilian PAUL who moved to south Africa might have left her estate to her unless Nellie had anymore children?

thanks

Daniel

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for that, would you be able to look up anything else for me, maybe Nellie left an estate herself, I know she moved to South Rhodesia in 1950, could you look for a Nellie Louisa Jackson and could look for Nellie Louisa Donahue just in case, and if she did leave an estate her sister Lilian PAUL who moved to south Africa might have left her estate to her unless Nellie had anymore children?

thanks

Daniel

I have looked for Nellie under all her names and also for Lilian Paul, but with no success.  Do you have an idea what Lilian's husbands name was?

Is it possible that Nellie died in Rhodesia?  If so would you have an idea where she lived there?
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilian's husbands name were James McCullock PAUL. They once lived at 9 Yeatman Road, North End Bulawayo and later moved to 7 Hexagon Court, Abercorn Street, Bulawayo.

It could be a possibility that Nellie died in South Rhodesia but we have no idea, that's why we are concentrating our searches on South Rhodsia and South Africa

Thanks

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilian's husbands name were James McCullock PAUL. They once lived at 9 Yeatman Road, North End Bulawayo and later moved to 7 Hexagon Court, Abercorn Street, Bulawayo.

It could be a possibility that Nellie died in South Rhodesia but we have no idea, that's why we are concentrating our searches on South Rhodsia and South Africa

Thanks

Unfortunately I can find no trace of James, Lilian or Nellie in the death indexes for Zimbabwe.  On eggsa.org, under gravestones there are two headstones which could be of interest.  One is for a "Lily" Paul 1903-1972 and the other for a Lilian Edith Paul 1927-1968.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Oliverd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for someone who may have married anytime from mid 70's onwards and may (should) still be living.

Found details of her mums death in 2011 and possibly my be able to find contact details from that.

Is there online availability of recent i.e. from 1975 Marraige records ?