Author Topic: john igoe roscommon  (Read 13113 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john igoe roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I'm trying to read the actual church record as opposed to the transcription but it's VERY hard to make out, maybe someone with better eyesight might be able to help you there

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/66c1c90003884

But, I think John's mother's maiden name MIGHT say Magee / Mcgee

If it is then there is a fairly good match on familysearch

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5VB-48G

Only out by a few years, which is fairly common for the time.................would need some work to confirm though !

Tara

Offline tess59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
hi tara. john is my husbands g,grandfather his daughter julia was his grandmother. julia married in 1920 ,and it says her dad was dead then, we dont know any more about john other then he came from roscommon and it says on julias marriage cert her dad was a saddler and harness maker 

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:21 BST (UK) »
I presume that you have the family on the 1911 Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Galway_North_Urban/Woodquay__damaged_/901951/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Galway_East__Urban/Whitehall/902526/

I know you said that Patrick died during WW1 but I can also see a John Igoe dying during WW1 - might this be Patrick's brother

I can see a John Igoe marrying in 1914
I can see a Christina Igoe marrying in 1919
I can see a Jane Igoe marrying in 1920

all of these are on familysearch

I can also see the death of an Annie Igoe in 1944 in Galway aged 75 which looks like a good match for Anne Farrell Igoe

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
Familysearch also shows the record of in 1906 that Annie was robbed of 5 shillings from a Margaret Geary

Tara

Offline tess59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
yes tara i have them in woodquay. and this is the marriages for them. i knew about patrick, as his name is in a book. that was wrote about the war, i even got the place he is buried.dont know if john was in army yet.

Offline zippycat123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I see you are looking into the family of John Igoe born 1853 Roscommon. His son John is my grandfather, he was born in chaters lane Dublin in 1884. He moved to Galway with his family, in the 1901 census he was 15 and, working with his father as a saddler at wood Quay. He married Mary Ryan in 1910 in the church of the three patrons Rathgar Dublin . He moved to Cavan you can find them at Abbey Street Cavan in the 1911 census. He set up his own business and remained there all his life where he died in 1966. During WW1 he went to Woolwich in se London where he conducted his trade, he had a limp and probably an undiagnosed click hip so never went to war.He and Mary had six children . My mother was his fourth child and she did on the 6th Dec. 2011. Patrick died in Palestine in 1918 and, is buried in a marked grave in the war cemetery on Telaviv road in Haifa Isreal . He was 28 . His Mother and sisters were living in Bowling Green Galway when she was notified of his death. One of Johns sons remained in Cavan and there are a lot of extended family there as a result. During the 1916 rising John was in Dublin and he and Mary and there two infant sons were at Fairy House races on the Easter Monday. Mary always spoke of the event to us as children. John was a master saddler and much respected. He was the last saddler in county Cavan area.

Offline zippycat123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 June 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I see you are looking for information on John Igoe's family. His son John was also a saddler. He married Mary Ryan in September 1910 at The Church Of The Three Patrons in Rathgar Dublin city, and settled in Abbey Street Cavan. He had six children.He died in 1966 and is buried in killygarry cemetery Cavan. He was in the army during ww1, but was posted in Woolwich where worked at his trade . He returned to Ireland post ww1 and resumed his business there for the rest of his life. The last of his children Briget and Ina died in December 2011 and April 2012, the former in Cavan and the later in Scotland. Patrick Igoe is buried in a marked grave on Telaviv road Haifa Israel. The War record has his widowed mother Anne Farrell Igoe living at Bowling green Galway at the time of his death in October 1918 as she was his next of kin.

Offline tess59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 June 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
hi zippycat123, thank you for all the info on john igoe,i knew nothing of john he is my 
 g,grandfather, his daughter julia was my grand mother, she married a man called john king in galway city, so it is nice to know there is still family of johns out there, i still live in galway so if you would like to keep in touch ,please let me know, 

Offline martin roscommon meath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
You may be interested that Igoe the saddler had a shop situated in the front right hand side of the old jail in Roscommon town.  The name was over the window until the 70s not too sure.  It was closed a long time by then. If you google images for Roscommon old Jail you may spot it especially in some of the market day photos.