Author Topic: Is this a school in Benington - if not what and where please?  (Read 13283 times)

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a school in Benington - if not what and where please?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 March 13 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kevin - my father was a member of Old Fairbridgians and I contacted them a while ago and they do not recognise the building for Pinjarra WA or Molong NSW. Only that it is not Australia.
I am attaching an extract from my mother's Identity Card re Benington. REgards Bob
Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 March 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
From British History Online, re Benington:

Beyond the village to the north the road rises to Box Hall, with Cabbage Green a short distance to the east. Along the road turning south-east from the centre of the village is Benington Place, surrounded by a large park, the residence of Mr. Richard Hargreaves, J.P., and south of it the hamlet of Hebing End, in which is Benington House, the residence of Mrs. Parker, widow of the late Rev. James Dunne Parker, LL.D., D.C.L. To the west of Hebing End is Burn's Green, and to the south Cutting Hill.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaliforniaUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 February 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  You probably already have this information but ..... the picture is not that of a school in Benington.  Benington is a rural village and does indeed have its own school but this picture would not be it.  I used to live a short distance from the village of Benington in the 60s and 70s.  The school was a village school surrounded by cottages mostly and trees.  That pic looks much more industrial .....

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 February 14 08:13 GMT (UK) »
just realised I had my mother's stamped card identifying where she resided in 1945 after discharge end of war until she departed for Australia end of 1946 - November 1945 she was at "Fairbridge Farm School, Benington House, Benington nr: Hertford. One of the reasons for my post here. A most interesting card with its stamps. Not sure if its title.
Bob

Have you seen this link of the building which I think is the one you are referring to as  Benington House.

http://www.beningtonlordship.co.uk/

Also the village website.

http://www.benington-herts.co.uk/history.htm

Steve

**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 February 14 12:01 GMT (UK) »
The photo of the school does look very much like a London County Council building, which would fit with him being born in Lambeth.

Perhaps the photo should go onto the Photo board, where people are very good at identifying places. However, reading these posts I see that muso_bob is probably in the UK at the moment.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 March 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your input. I am now back in UK until end of March - have been away from computers for a bit. I will look at the Photo Board, thank you.

I won't have a chance to go to the Benington area this trip - been 3 months - however will do so when I return.

I really do appreciate your posts, regards, Robert
Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline exessexgirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My lovely Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 April 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
I went to Benington approximately 2000. I took this picture of the school in the village. In case it's not a very clear, the school was founded in 1873. Also there is a Fairbridge Farm School, which I think, is on the outskirts of Pinjarra in Western Australia.
Regards Lyn.
exessexgirl :)<br />
White, Curtis, Lockyer, Drew - St. Pancras
Collins & Catlin of Benington / Ardeley Herts,
Collins, Dunkley, Poole,  of Hackney, Edmonton,Shoreditch
Allens, Clapham,  of Islington.
DeAth.... of Shoreditch.
Gladden & Laker of Shoreditch / Bethnal Green
Bibbys, Smith, Webb, Buckley  of  Essex
Blessed and Wade Spalding Lincolnshire
Pullen, Weedon & Skipps of Hackney and Essex.
Danahar of Bethnal Green
Caddy - Stafford

Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Peter reed

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 September 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
hi ibenington  park was called benington place in the past it was a childrens home in ww2 for kids it was a fairbridge home i work as a gardener there  i can supply picture and any information u need regards  leni the picture u have of the school  is about half amile from benington house which is a private estate.

Offline Highwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 May 23 05:25 BST (UK) »
I've only just joined RootsChat and seen this posting.  I went to Benington School in the 1950s and so confirm that the small school building Exessexgirl sent is Benington School.  Also that during WW2 there were children at either Benington Place or Benington Park, but I believed they were refugee children from London.  I am interested in all history to do with Benington so would be interested in hearing from anyone who know that the Fairbridge children were definitely there or indeed anything about life at Benington Place or Park in WW2 as I believe my mother's cousin worked there as a cook.