Author Topic: Thomas Morley and guardianship help  (Read 3778 times)

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Morley and guardianship help
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 March 13 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Suz: thanks for sharing this information. I was looking through Phillimore's Marriages and saw that there is a Thomas Morley was who married to Mary Chambers in Greasley on 7 February 1780. So that would be a possible match.
I know from other researchers, they have listed Ann's surname in different ways, almost as if it weren't Aldridge to begin with. So, I'm inclined to a more open opinion unless there was an Ann Aldridge that matches for the given time frame.
(By the way, I do not have access to the baptism records like you do. The Phillimore records are online and I have been using websites such as FindMyPast and Ancestry, which haven't been too terribly helpful in this particular case, so I'm really grateful to you for bringing those baptisms to my attention.)  :)
I also wonder that why, if both of these parents were married in Greasley, John Morley and Ann Aldridge were married in Basford? I'm not keen on the geography--are they relatively close and could therefore present a conceivable reason why the marriage took place there?
Lastly, I have also been researching a bit in the UK Census records. Although I haven't been able to physically see the pages, I have found a John Morley in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. In 1841, he is living in Southwell, which is close by. In 1851, he is living in Radford. While I'm not sure if this is the John Morley, the year of birth is eerily close in both cases (1789). I'll have to look at these census records (especially the latter) to see where the location of birth is marked. Plus, if he's working as a frame work knitter, then that would almost certainly qualify him as a match.
I haven't, however, been able to locate a death for this John Morley at anytime after 1851. He doesn't appear to show up in the 1861 census index.
I appreciate your assistance and information. I'll keep this post updated as I dig a little deeper.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 March 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Basford is only a few miles from Kimberley/Greasley

Basford is also a registration district - which Greasley & Kimberley are within.

Maybe they married in Basford as that was where Ann was living at the time -usually marriages take place in the bride's parish- or maybe Ann was from Basford - no definate baptism has been found to confirm where she was born.
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I have just been looking on An*****y at various public member trees - information varies considerably
On some trees Thomas has the middle name James - others Daniel - and some no middle name - there is even a photograph of Thomas
some give d.o.b. as 5 Nov 1820 others 24 Nov 1819 (possibly one is d.o.birth other d.o.baptism
Some have Ann's name as Alroyd

will see what I can find

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
there is a baptism
Hannnah Aldred 28 Dec 1797 parents Samuel/Mary
Greasley Notts

There are a lot of Aldred baptisms at greasley - no Aldridge or Alroyd

It looks like some of the trees have just been copied instead of researched individually.

I am very near to Greasley and could look at the parish records - but it won't be for a couple of weeks (we are having major work done at home so cannot get out during the day )

Suz

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 March 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Suz: thank you for the information. You can see why I would be a bit apprehensive in accepting any information from sourceless trees!
I was able to look at the 1841 and 1851 census records and here's what I found:
1841[residence: Edwinstone Parish, Southwell]
John Morley, age 52 (1789), born in Nottinghamshire, living with his daughter(?) Eliza (age 37 [1804]) and Charles Foster and their six children. Occupation: Farmer.
1851 [residence: Bloom Sqaure, Radford]
John Morley, age 62 (1789), born in Greasley, married to Mary (age 55), son-in-law William Wardle (age 21...it has a U in the marital status column, which means unmarried. He might be a son from Mary's previous marriage and the relationship was misinterpreted?). Occupation: Frame Work Knitter. Mary (born 1796) is listed as being born in Kimberley, as is the son-in-law.

To be quite honest, the latter census seems to be more of a match to the John Morley in question. I'll have to do more research to see when 1851 John married Mary, and where exactly William Wardle falls into the picture. I will get post my findings here.

Offline Ted Morley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 May 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Ted M. Thomas Morley was my ggrandfather. His son Joshua Morley was my grandfather. I never knew my grandfather wrote a biography about his father. I would love to know how I might attain a copy of this biography. I have information and dates about their ancestors.