Author Topic: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT  (Read 18249 times)

Offline Joyceedev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 October 15 18:54 BST (UK) »
I have narrowed it down and have gone with the following, Joseph Cadger and Ann Scott, as her parents It is the only line that seems to fit for now,  Josephs parents are James Cadger and Isabella/Isabel Beedy, Anns are John Scott and Isabel Walker, The Cadger line hales from Strichen/ Memsie which is just 10 mins by car from me, I have found them at a place called Bodychelle, it was a farm with 3 or 4 properties on it and the Pittendreighs lived there also.
Hope this helps,

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 23 October 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
oh my gosh how did you do that? I have sat for days trying to find them and I eventually did before seeing this post. that is amazing information. was bodychelle a big farm?

thank you so much for this help it has helped me greatly.

Isabella had a grand daughter Mary she married John Rollo in 1900. however I cant find out much about her either I found her death in 1969 but nothing else. not even in the 1911 census which I find strange would there be a reason for this?

Offline Joyceedev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

I narrowed it down by looking at census and mothers maiden names, In Scotland it is custom to add the mothers maiden name to the childs name, as a middle name, Also back then many farming people
.had the first child out of marriage. There are 2 Isabella's born in a five yr period not far apart.
Isabella Cadger Ogston was also married to a Gordon.I am still looking at this one, trying to confirm this. my email is * if you would like to contact me via that,

I have been looking at this line for 10 yrs and it took time to narrow down .
joyce

Offline Joyceedev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I have also found her death cert.

Offline Joyceedev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 October 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
You not have found them in the 1911 census cause they were no in this country. Have you tried the poor house records, They may have been in the workhouse there for would not be listed at a house address as one family but with a group of people of different surnames.

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 April 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
His mother appears to be Isabella SCOTT, daughter of Isabella CADGER who married William OGSTONE....... if the certificates are at least correct in that part, it seems Isabella (SCOTT) and later her son, both used surnames of their fathers - event though both were, each in their turn, illigitimately born.

Alexander PITTENDREIGH - b abt 1848/49
His marriage certificate seems to quite clearly indicate his parents, Alexander PITTENDREIGH & Isabella SCOTT were not married (to each other). Yet he has used his father's surname.

Alexander's  death certificate, may be mis-informed that his mother was married PITTENDREIGH ms OGSTON or that his parents were married at all. The inormation seems to be a cobbling of a few separate part truths. Perhaps the informant  partially mixed up his mother and his maternal grandmother, or was simply under the false impression that what he/she informed was correct.

It seems that Isabella SCOTT's death certificate is mostly correctly informed - does it say her mother is "CADGER or OGSTON" or does it say "ms OGSTON"? (I can't quite make it out). It appears she also used her father's surname even though her mother was unmarried at the time she was born.   The Census seems to indicate, William OGSTON was her stepfather, and CADGER was her mother's (probable) maiden name (probable,  because her mother is shown with the CADGER  surname in 1841). Wonder who the GORDON laddie is though....

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
1841: Whitewell, Tyrie, Aberdeenshire
William OGSTONE 60,
Isabel CADGER 33,
Isabel SCOTT 13,
James GORDON 12,
William OGSTONE 6,
John OGSTONE 3,
Elizabeth OGSTONE 8 mths,
Elizabeth FRASER 53, Female Servant,
ALL Born Aberdeenshire

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
1851: Whytewell, Tyrie, Aberdeenshire
Head: William OGSTON 80, Crofter& Butcher, b Tyrie
Wife: Isabella OGSTON 45, b Fraserburgh
DauLaw: Isabella SCOTT 21, Farm Servant, b Strichen, Aberdeenshire
Dau: Elizabeth OGSTON 10, b Tyrie
Son: Robert OGSTON 8, b Tyrie
Dau: Joan OGSTON 4, b Tyrie
Son: Charles OGSTON 3, b Tyrie
Dau; Barbara OGSTON 6, b Tyrie

1861: Milltown Boyndlie, Tyrie - in Household of William FOWLIE, Parochioal Schoolamster &  Farmer 50 acres
Servant: Charles OGSTON 12, Cattle Boy, b Tyrie
Servant: Alexander PETTERBRIGH??, 9, b Tyrie

1871: Alexander PITINDREICH 20, b Tyrie
Farm Servant at Mains Of Auchnagatt, New Deer (Savoch)

BIRTHS IGI: At Tyrie, to parents: William OGSTON & Isabella CADGER
William OGSTON b 19 Jun 1834
John OGSTON b 7 May 1838
Elizabeth OGSTON b 13 Oct 1840
Robert OGSTON b 13 Jan 1842
Barbara OGSTON b 13 Mar 1843 
Joanna OGSTON b 18 Dec 1845
Charles OGSTON b 2 Nov 1848

Cheers
AMBLY

If my research is correct, the Elizabeth Ogston I have highlighted here is my great-great grandmother. Her daughter Joan (b.1873) married Alexander Scott (b.1873) and had 7 sons, including my grandfather Lewis Scott, who from what I have read was something of a jack of all trades in his native Fraserburgh. He played for Fraserburgh FC when they won the Highland League in 1932-33; played cricket for Fraserburgh in the Buchan League; was the youngest member of the Town Council when he served from 1937-1946; he pops up constantly in the Fraserburgh Herald and Norther Counties' Advertiser on the BNA website.

Question is, does anyone know who Joan's father was?
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Question is, does anyone know who Joan's father was?
Have you got her marriage certificate? Does it gve her father's name?

Is there a corrected entry linked to her birth certificate?

Could her mother have applied to the parochial board for assistance under the Poor Law? If so, there could be a record of her father's name there.

By 1873 it's probably a bit late for there to be anything useful in the kirk session records, but it would be worth checking just in case.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.