Author Topic: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT  (Read 18237 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 April 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
It may interest you to know that an ancestor of mine was a Matron of the Poorslodginghouses in New Pitsligo.She was appointed on February 19th 1892.She got 5 shillings a week,free house & fuel.She resigned from her duties (as from) March 1st 1902. Here are the duties required of the Matron;
Attend, & wash, to infirm residents & those in sickness.
Take in fuel & water to any unable to do so.
Clean blankets on death occurring & put into store.
To take a general interest in the welfare of the inmates.
The new replacement Matron's wages were 6 shillings a week.
I was fortunate to obtain this information from Tyrie Parish Minutes.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Gosh Ambly that is just brilliant. I greatly appreciate you taking time to advance my research so far so quickly.  I'll now have to get copies of the original documents and take time to get my head around the new research lines your data has opened up for me.
I think you have saved me from making a major mistake about my pre 1800 research.
Thanks for all your work on my ancestry.

Sy
My Post above which refers to Snips #1,2 & 3 previous carried three snips from OPR. Census & SRs Primary Sources.  These have been moderated out to comply with forum rules regarding copyright.
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT Revision to message 1
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 April 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
This is a revison to message #01 where the first snip was mederated out.
It would have been better if I could have modified the actual messages but I no longer have that option.
Alexander's mother recorded as SCOTT in marriage cert and OGSTON in death cert.
Revised snips follow:
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT Further revisions
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 April 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
Reply 07 & 8 above refer to snips 02 and 03 which were moderated out thus removing the sense of the discussion. These snips have now been modified to comply with copyright limits.
See below:

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella aka CADGER-OGSTON-SCOTT Revision
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 April 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather’s marriage and death certificates gave me the SCOTT & OGSTON names.
Isabella SCOTTs death cert lead me to look for CADGER.
Who was his mother?
See snips below.
The death certificate snip referred to above was moderated out because it did not comply with copyright restrictions. Here is the revised snip and hopefully it completes my revisions to this thread. 
I still have to solve the question of who was the father of my great grandfather?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Really interesting thread...
Had a wee look at the 1841 Census on freecen.
Alexander Pittendrigh - farmer aged 33 seems to have form with his farm servants ;D His future wife Mary Campbell age 24 is listed as a farm servant at his farm Glasslay (Nether) at Aberdour.
Also found an interesting
Andrew Pittendrigh - farmer aged 40 listed with his family at Protsaugh, Tyrie. He has an agricultural labourer James  Cadger age 15 in his household.
Wonder if these two farmers are brothers/cousins? And wonder if Isabella Cadger/Scott/Ogston worked for either man?

Looby

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 April 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
It may interest you to know that an ancestor of mine was a Matron of the Poorslodginghouses in New Pitsligo.She was appointed on February 19th 1892.She got 5 shillings a week,free house & fuel.She resigned from her duties (as from) March 1st 1902. Here are the duties required of the Matron;
Attend, & wash, to infirm residents & those in sickness.
Take in fuel & water to any unable to do so.
Clean blankets on death occurring & put into store.
To take a general interest in the welfare of the inmates.
The new replacement Matron's wages were 6 shillings a week.
I was fortunate to obtain this information from Tyrie Parish Minutes.
flst
Thanks flst & looby.  Interesting stuff.
Having now realised that there are holes in much of my research data gleaned for the period prior to my great grandfathers marriage.  A visit to the archives in Edinburgh has to be on the cards for me and  soon.
Alexander's illegitimate birth to Isabella will have to be searched for in the Session Minutes.
All my guesses as to his father so far have just been that, guesses.  Chances are it is some other Alexander than the one I originally believed to be correct.
Cheers,
Sy

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
It occurred to me, that Alexander in 1851 (well, I think it''s him,  as a Farm Servant along with Charles OGSTON)  is enumerated as age 9, making him born more like abt 1851/1852. Then in 1861 (again pretty sure it's him), he's 20. And he wasn't in  the 1851 Census family listing either.   
I would have suggested he didn't know the exact yr he was born - but for the fact of the 1861, where I assume he gave the information on his age! Did he make himself older when he married in 1870, to make himself 'of full age' and a step ahead of his bride, then kept up the pretence from then on?

And I think  Isabella CADGER was married before she married OGSTON:
Isabella CADGER & Charles GORDON married 28 May 1829, Strichen.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTJG-C61

It looks to me  like she went to the GORDON marriage, with her daughter Isabella (SCOTT) in tow and then had James GORDON  (age 12 in 1841) within the marriage.

Cheers
AMBLY

Sorry that I haven't logged on in a while.  AMBLY you are spot on with your analysis of Isabella's marriage to Charles Gordon and subsequent birth of James.  I am directly descended from Charles Gordon (gx3 Grandfather) and Isabella Cadger.  Charles married Isabella at Strichen 28th May 1829 and James was born that same year.  Presumably prior to marrying Ogston Charles Gordon died, although I haven't found a death record.  As you pointed out James is seen in the subsequent census.  He later moved down with most of his family to Dundee to work in the Jute Mills.

On GenesReunited sometime ago I exchanged details with a lady who was descended from Charles OGSTON and Isabella.  She has done tonnes of research into her family tree.  Unfortunately as it goes in genealogy wasn't too interested in the Gordons and I wasn't too interested in the OGSTON's.  If you need any more info please get back to me as I have her details and access to her family tree.

Regards

James Gordon
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 May 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
AMBLY wrote
It looks to me  like she went to the GORDON marriage, with her daughter Isabella (SCOTT) in tow and then had James GORDON  (age 12 in 1841) within the marriage.

JMG1893 wrote
......  AMBLY you are spot on with your analysis of Isabella's marriage to Charles Gordon and subsequent birth of James.  I am directly descended from Charles Gordon (gx3 Grandfather) and Isabella Cadger.  Charles married Isabella at Strichen 28th May 1829 and James was born that same year.  Presumably prior to marrying Ogston Charles Gordon died, although I haven't found a death record.
/quote]

AMBLY was assisting me in my research. 
I'm interested in the birth details of Alexander PITTENDREIGH whose mother is recorded as Isabella OGSTON or SCOTT who now appears to be the daughter of the Isabella CADGER who married your Charles GORDON in 1829.
I'm still very interested in identifying the PITTENDREIGH father of my great grandfather Alexander.

Can anyone assist me further to unravel this tangle of relationships

Cheers,
Sy