Author Topic: William Crowsley, born about 1774  (Read 5525 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Crowsley, born about 1774
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 13 06:59 BST (UK) »
Regarding the National Archives info, is that still about William Crowsley? Or a relative of his wife Elizabeth Smith?

The National Archives info is from the date range of 1795-1829 & it is for William Smith of Elstow, who was discharged age 57, so he was born between 1738 & 1772; there are 3 William Smith baptisms at Elstow during that period. There is a burial of William Smith in Feb 1801 but no age is given. The record at the NA may provide further detail.

I was thinking that if this William Smith & William Crowsley were in the militia at same time and if William Smith was somehow connected to Elizabeth Smith, daughter of John & Mary Smith baptised 15 Feb 1778. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 April 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sorting that out for me, John.  I will see if I can find anything more about Elizabeth's family.  It's all been very helpful and I'm so grateful for all the info you've given me.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 April 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
I have found a William Smith baptised Elstow 10 Dec 1775, parents John and Mary, not in the time frame you mention, John, but wonder if he might be a possible.  When I followed him through on censuses, in 1851 he is listed as Chelsea Pensioner and grocer, living in Elstow, with his wife, another Elizabeth, who was born in Bix, Oxfordshire. Maybe he met her while he was on manoeuvres in the Militia? Their son William is a tailor, perhaps following his grandfather's trade?  Speculation I know, but wonder what you think?
Ann

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 April 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
I have found a William Smith baptised Elstow 10 Dec 1775, parents John and Mary,

Yes I saw him, possibly brother of Elizabeth Smith, who was wife of William Crowsley; but who knows if this is the Wm Smith who was in Bedford Militia as per the National Archives record
Clement - Croydon

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 April 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Oh well, he's not a direct connection, so I don't think we need to look any further.  Interesting though, and I'm certainly pleased with the info you've given me about William Crowsley, so thanks again.
Ann

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello there. I have a William Crowsley 1774 -1858 on my tree as marrying my 5 x grandmother when she became a widow. (She was originally married to John Sarll) This was in 1841 in Bedford and my grandmother was Catherine Ashwell born 1772-1846.
I have no documentation but just from records on the internet. I am hoping to return to Bedford to chase up the Sarlls again one day soon.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 April 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
William Crowsley, bachelor, labourer of Elstow, father also William Crowsley, labourer married Catherine Ashwell, spinster, servant of Elstow, father Matthew Ashwell, labourer on 29 Oct 1841 at Elstow.   

This Catherine Ashwell was baptised Kempston, All Saints on 16 Jan 1818, daughter of Matthew & Sophia.

William Crowsley was buried Elstow age 58 on 3rd Jan 1842 (assume him to be the father) ... this could be a transcription error & he was 68. Ties in with him being 67 on 1841 census. FreeBMD has a death index of a William Crosely in Bedford RD in Dec qtr 1841. I cannot find this death entry on the GRO where it might give an age at death. 

Clement - Croydon