Author Topic: Trying to find a specific Pollock in the British Isles is like trying to find...  (Read 1333 times)

Offline swerley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

My particular Pollock is Mary Jane. All I know about her is she married Thomas (or possibly James - records are unclear) Williams who was a police constable and they had my GGGGrandfather John Mitchell Williams in 1845, possibly (probably) in Ireland. John eventually ended up in Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, Scotland living with his mother's Pollock family when he married Susanna Smeaton in March 1866. The marriage record states both John's parents are deceased.

I really could use some help locating John's parents. I've been at a standstill on this for many years.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, help, or comments.
Sandi

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a specific Pollock in the British Isles is like trying to find...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 13 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandi

I moved your topic here, not because you are necessarily a beginner but there are a lot of possible places to suggest for information.

Hope this helps.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a specific Pollock in the British Isles is like trying to find...
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 13 14:18 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has John Mitchell Williams born 2nd October 1845 in Scotland.

You'll need a subscription to Scotland's People to see any records of the birth.

Mary Jane Pollock, born 1825 Ireland, married Thomas Henry Williams?

Whether you trust the tree or not is up to you, but I would be looking for more information?
JMW died in Pensylvania, 1932. So maybe as well to try US records?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline swerley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGarrad,

Yes, I saw that tree. It claims they moved to Canada, which I know to be untrue. ::)

I have tons of info on John after his marriage. It's before 1866 that I have no record of.

Thanks for your interest, though. :)

Sandi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
A little here already by Sandi www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641115.0.html

We have struggled to find details of John Mitchell Williams in Scotland prior to his wedding in 1866.

Sandi, just one question from me here. How have you confirmed that John was staying with his mother's Pollock family in Scotland? Am I right in thinking you only have his address from his 1866 marriage to start working from? Is it this address you have identified as being connected to his mother's family? Also, what were the witnesses names on the marriage cert?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swerley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi MonicaL,

George and Elizabeth Pollock are living right next door to Susanna Smeaton and her family in the 1861 census. On the marriage record John's address is 3 Stonecraigs Row, Newmains, Cambusnethan parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland, and Susanna's is 11 Stonecraigs Row, ditto, etc.

Sandi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 March 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
That is great. Who were the witnesses to the marriage?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swerley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 March 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
MonicaL,

The witnesses were William Rowland and Susan Paton. I have no knowledge of these two at all. Their surnames aren't connected to my family as far as I know. :-\

Sandi

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 March 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the National Archives, just in case,    http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Skoosh.