Author Topic: Royal Navy Service Record  (Read 1941 times)

Offline 2mm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy Service Record
« on: Saturday 30 March 13 19:36 GMT (UK) »
My brother was in the R.N during part of WW11.  Would I be able to obtain copies of his service records, as a sister,  without having any exact details of  dates/ships name(s) etc.  He died in 1999, and his wife and 4 children are still living.

Would any of these records be at Kew?

I know his date of birth and where he  was living, at this time, and our parents would have been next of kin.   Would these records be available to me ??
Thank you  2mm

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy Service Record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
2mm
Ww2 records are still with MoD so you have to apply there.
Full details are available on the Veterans Agency website.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline 2mm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Ady, will try the address
2mm  :) :)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think you will find his wife, if still living, would be next of kin, then would come his children. You would need permission of the next of Kin to get his records. I think they would be free if his wife applies otherwise there is a fee. The information is all on the link supplied by mmm45

Andy

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 March 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
Having ordered a fair few service records from the MoD at Glasgow (Army) and spoken to them on the phone to I can say:

The NoK bit can be a bit confusing. If you believe you are the closest living relative (next of kin) then the MoD will accept this so I wouldn't ever get to hung up on it. They are not even that bothered if you sign for them and you have a older brother or sister living. As mentioned if his wife is still alive there will be no charge otherwise the cost is £30. As far as reseraching soldiers go - This will be the best £30 you will spend researching them.

Another confusing point is 'proof of death. The MoD will accept quite a few variations of proof of death. Many think you have to supply a copy of a death cert but they will also accept a Undertakers Invoice, a photograph of a headstone, a CWGC entry etc etc.

And remember if you can provide a date of birth and a service number that would be ideal but you only need to provide one, not both.

Ref Royal Navy personnel once you find out his Ships (Assuming he wasn't shore based) the following website will give you a good idea of what his ship was doing:

http://www.naval-history.net/

Offline 2mm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Drew & Andycand,  will give it a go.
2mm  :) :)