Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 46727 times)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 September 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
I suppose it is possible that "Effie", "Euphemia" and "Sophia" are one and the same. Effie could have been her family/pet name, or perhaps the census-taker misheard.

Since Bessy died in in 1964, perhaps she was living somewhere else on the census date? In my family, two grandchildren appear on a census living with their grandparents while their parents and siblings are recorded as living elsewhere.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 September 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian,
I will see if I can find her elsewhere.
I need to get back to my Sutherland lot.
wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 13 September 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
For WandaM: As IanB says, there are no parish records for Durness prior to November 1764, and the number of verifiable dates of birth prior to that date can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Anyone claiming a d.o.b. in 1763 is either an incurable optimist or has misread the parish records.

Having said that, I have found a George McKay born in 1789 that might be the one you're looking for. On 7th October there is recorded the birth in Balnakiel of one George to John McKay alias Macenicallisterroy (the son of Kenneth, the son of red-haired Alastair), and an unmarried woman named Margaret Sinclair. From her surname, she is virtually certain to have come from Caithness.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 September 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
Re: George Mackay

I missed that one, djct, and he does appear to be a likely candidate. However, I think that the father's patronymic might be "son of John; the son of red-haired Alistair", and here is my reasoning:
- "Mac en" is a very common element in many of the patronymics in the transcript. There are not that many Kenneths in the register, and they appear to have been given the patronymic "Mac cennich" i.e. mac Coinneach. Son of John = mac Iain/Eoin = mac En

- There is an entry in the transcript: 1765 Baptisms #17 "John Mackay, alias Macalisterroy, in Uaibeg, Hugh".  I think this Hugh may be the younger brother of Wanda's John. See Marriages for 1788 #15 'Hugh Mackay, alias Macenicalisterroy, in Uabeg ... Isabel Dingwall. I think this was the same Hugh Mackay.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 September 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
Good point Ian

MacEan Mhic Alasdair Ruadh does mac more sense - I'd speed-read it as MacEnich

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 September 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Or even "make" more sense - too many Macs spoil the syntax

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 September 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Wini,
If you woud like a copy of Angi's transcription of the Free Church baptisms and marriages, please send me your email address by PM and I will send you a pdf scan.

IanB

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 14 September 13 21:32 BST (UK) »
If John and Margaret Sinclair are George's parents, then I need to reeval the info I have on George. I have him as passing away 1809, but his son (Hugh Morrison Mackay) was born in 1839. George moved to Nova Scotia then eventually Prince Edward Island.
 I feel like this is confusing for me, and I really appreciate your patience. You all are way more experienced at this, so I am grateful for all you assistance.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 September 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
Was Hugh born in Sutherland? There is a birth for a Hugh McKay, son of John, listed in the old parish records of Durness on 2nd July 1841