Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 46278 times)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Uist:

There were/are lots of "Straths" in Scotland. Strath, an anglicisation of the Gaelic Srasth, means a wide valley. The Strath of Skye, is a district of the Isle of Skye, which, although in the Inner Hebrides, is in the County of Inverness and enquiries about former residents are usually directed to the "Inverness" list.

Please be assured that I am trying to be helpful.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian
Thank you will have a look on the Inverness post
Beaton Bethune Macleod Macmillian
Macsween Currie Macpherson Mackenzie Macintosh

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 25 February 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Question: would an entry in the Durness parish register in 1764 that refers to the place as "Saingo" be referring to Sangobeg or Sangomore ?

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:56 GMT (UK) »
"Saingo" appears 104 times in the 1764-1814 records. On 25 occasions it's specified as "Saingobeg". Given that Sangomore was a far larger settlement and far closer to Durine, Balvoolich, Keodale, Croispol and Borley, my conclusion has always been that "Saingo" alone refers to Sangomore.

The first mention of Saingobeg is in 1793 and the first reference to Saingomore is in 1802.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Munro; I assume your query relates to your subsequent thread concerning Christian Names. Like djct, my 'default" assumption is that Saingo refers to Sangomor; but, in the absence of any substantiation, it can only be an assumption and I wouldn't rely upon it to try to prove something.
BTW, I cannot offer any useful suggestions regarding your "Christian Name' mystery.
Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Munro; I assume your query relates to your subsequent thread concerning Christian Names. Like djct, my 'default" assumption is that Saingo refers to Sangomor; but, in the absence of any substantiation, it can only be an assumption and I wouldn't rely upon it to try to prove something.
BTW, I cannot offer any useful suggestions regarding your "Christian Name' mystery.
Ian

Thanks Ian.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
Regarding Bethune in Durness.

Durness Marriage Register 1837 - "Augt. 18 - At Acharn Alex. Gunn House Carpenter from Caithness now at Eriboll and Fairley Bethune dau. of Aler Bethune Kainer Acharn"

Durness Baptism Register 1839 - "Cathrine dau to Donald Ross an unmarried young man Island Hoan and Fairley Bethune wife of Alex Gunn House Carpenter now at Smoo the child was born in August 1837 - Dond Ross ten Hoan and wife were sponsors" 

Clarifying details - Donald Hugh Ross (1780-1853) from Borley and his wife Isobel Calder (1789-1879) from Strathmore were crofters on Island Hoan, raised ten children born 1812 to 1832, and in addition their unmarried son Donald fathered a daughter named Catherine in 1837 with Fairley Bethune who married Alex Gunn.

Also, a search of ScotlandsPeople for a spouse of either gender named Bethune in any parish in Sutherland from 1800 to 1840 turns up 15 weddings with a Bethune as either bride or groom.

Repeating the search for births in all Sutherland parishes returns 32 Bethune babies.
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
Trying to untangle some births and to clarify which (if any) are from the marriage of Donald Calder and Janet Mackay.

MARRIAGE
"At Durness Donald Calder in Mussel married to Janet Mackay alias nin alister in Luibain both in Strathmore the Eleventh day of August 1783"

BAPTISMS
"Donald Down, alias Calder, Murdoch Down's son, and Janet Mackay, alias nin alister, living in Dalnaheru, Barbara, 26 August 1784"

"Donald Calder, alias macmhorachie Down, tenent in Inverhope, and his wife Janet Mackay, alias nin Alister, John, 23 April 1787"

"Donald Calder, alias macmhorachiedhuin, tenent in Strathmore, and his wife Janet Mackay, alias nin Alister, had Isobel baptized, 29 November 1789"

Donald Calder, alias macmhorachiedhuin, tenent in Strathmore, and his wife Janet Mackay, alias nin Alister, John, 3 April 1791

My connection is through Isobel Calder, who married Donald Hugh Ross, who is a nephew of my 3x GGF John Ross (1775-1857), who was born in Borley, married Robina Mackenzie (1795-1862) in Eddrachillis, and together John and Robina raised ten children in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Inverhope and Dalnaheru are both at the northern end of Strathmore, where Loch Hope cuts south through the Moine.

Mhuiseil, or "Mussel" is on the east side of Loch Hope north of the Dun Dornaigil Broch

Macmorachie means "son of Murdoch", so all four births are to Donald donn Calder, the son of Murdoch, in Strathmore.