Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 46282 times)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 September 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am very new to this, but found this thread fascinating. Thanks to you who are doing all this work. I have traced back definitively to George MacKay B 1788 D 3/26/1809 Married to Elspeth Elizabeth Sutherland. His father, I believe, is John Mackay of Durness born 1763, but it gets a little vague here. Downstream of this is Hugh Morison (or Morrison) MacKay (1839-1897) who was married to Mary Macleod(1834-1906) I hope I haven't confused anyone. Does anyone have any info on these people? I am apparently my generations keeper of the records(which I love)
Thanks in advance!

Reply:
The Durness Parish Register commenced in 1764 and presumably continued until civil registration of Births Deaths & Marriages became mandatory in 1855. However the transcript by Dr. Hew Morrison only covers the years 1764 - 1814 and might only cover 2 or 3 generations of your family at most. Do you know the name of George Mackay's mother? What documentation have you seen which confirms George's DOB as 1788? Where was he born/baptised. Nothing shows up in the transcript.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 September 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Wanda,

The moderator closed this thread and started a new one : "Durness Parish Register - Part 2. See below.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 September 13 23:27 BST (UK) »

The transcript I made of baptisms and marriages can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/rupparti/family-history/durness-fc

regards
Angi
[/quote]

Angi

I note that site isn't working.  Have you moved it?

Jeni Simpson
Aotearoa/New Zealand
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 September 13 23:55 BST (UK) »
Ian, thanks for the tip. How do I get to part 2?? This is all new to me so assume I know nothing!

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 September 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Just browsing rootschat and noticed this thread. :)
I think this is what you are looking for Wanda:
Ian, thanks for the tip. How do I get to part 2?? This is all new to me so assume I know nothing!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=641690.msg5068048;topicseen#new

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 September 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much!

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 September 13 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your prompt response!! Here's what I know for sure... My GG  is Elizabeth Adelaide MacKay (1867-1938) who came to USA from Prince Edward Island. Her parents, I'm pretty sure were Hugh and Mary (MacLeod)MacKay ( some list Mary as a MacCoy). I found George and Elspeth Elizabeth Sutherland on Hugh's tree. George emigrated from Scotland to Nova Scotia. His DOB is listed roughly as 1788.( Death, as I said earlier was3/26/1809) Elspeth I have from Dorroch Sutherlandshire. Her parents were John Sutherland B 1741 and Christy(?) B 1745. Am I throwing too much at you??? I think I lose trail after George

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 September 13 03:06 BST (UK) »
There is obviously something wrong with it, but you can still access Angi's Free Kirk extracts by clicking on the links/buttons.

IanB

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 September 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
Angi and any other helpers
This is outwith the register but in the 1911 Census, John Mackay, Effie isn't mentioned and his wife is given as Sophia. It is the correct family as the children are the same in the 1901 Census.
Robert's birth in 1909 gives Effie as his mother and John as Father. Effie was still alive until 1947
I have a copy of Bessy Mackay's birth in 1892 but on the 1901 Census there is only a Jessy the correct age.
Is this Census errors or am I just totally confused with all the Mackay's and Gunns in Durness
wini

p.s. all my information is from Scotlands People
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,