Author Topic: benjamin gray littlehampton australia  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Perri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: benjamin gray littlehampton australia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly
I think I have messaged the moderator. Thanks ever so much for your help
perri

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi perri

You're most welcome and good luck!

I did have quite a good look through TROVE and whilst there were a number of mentions of him - nothing I saw what stated a dOb (probably  not unexpected).  Possibly, family records handed down, such as a bible or some such (he was very involved with the Church Synod etc in Blakiston) may still exist.  I believe his only son died without issue - so that leaves a possibility of  descendants via his daughters who may know his birthdate?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Not sure if early SA  BDM's carry full birthdates - a question for the Aussie experts  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 April 13 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly and perri,

South Australian certificates are every much like English certificates, unlike the wonderful details you get on certificates from other states. The information you get from them is to be found here.....
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

For example, Benjamin's death certificate will have the date of death, as will the index. (3rd September 1879, resident of Blakiston, died at Blakiston. Ref = Nai 97/407   No relatives listed.)

Dee    :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 April 13 02:57 BST (UK) »
You could try any local history groups or even the local or state libraries. They have books, documents or other information on Benjamin Gray, seeing as he was someone of note in regards to the founding of Littlehampton in the Adelaide Hills.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Alan503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 October 13 05:20 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for BG's DOB for a number of years but with no luck, birth certificates weren't issued in 1810 but sometimes the parents of a child that is baptised would write in the baptism register their DOB. Benjamin Gray's parents Benjamin and Martha didn't do it for Benjamin but he done it for Guildford.

I have written a book that will be on general release from early 2014 that you may find interesting. It has copies of the special marriage licence, baptism records of Benjamin and Guildford and much more.

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 October 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Perri,
I am in Oz and had a quick look on trove. The death notices I can find don't mention any other family but I will look a bit further. He died on the 3rd of September 1879 and this is a report from the SA Register 29th August 1879. It looks like he died as a result of this accident.
Accident to Mr. B. GRAY, J.P.— An accident occurred to Mr. Benjamin Gray, J.P., brewer, of Blakiston, on Wednesday, August 27, which but for immediate assistance mast have terminated fatally. Mr. Gray was crossing a platform in his brewery immediately above a large vat containing several feet of water, which was nearly at boiling heat, when a part of the wood work of the platform gave way, and he was precipitated into the vat beneath. Mr. Gray was fortunately able to cling to a beam, by which he managed to keep hia body out of the hot water, but bis feet and legs as far up as the knees were severely scalded. One of his men, who happened to be close at hand, released him from his perilous position. Dr. Weld was in immediate attendance.
Cheers
mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline Alan503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 February 14 03:39 GMT (UK) »
The Benjamin Gray Story was published in January '14 and available through Amazon.

ISBN 978 0 9927921 0 7 Only £4.99p +p&p.

You can also order it through the website benjamin-gray.co.uk or http://benjamin-gray.magix.net/

This book is very popular and has received good reviews, it has 40 pages and packed with facts and a number of pictures.A must to have on your bookshelf if you are interested in true stories, history or Australian Pioneer Settlers.

Offline Mista99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 March 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin was my 5x's Great Uncle, thanks for the information on him, also I have never seen an actual DOB
Waterer --- Surrey England, Canada
Gray       --- Ayrshire Scotland, Canada
Dalshaug/ Olsen/ Poulsen -- Canada, USA,  Kvikne Norway
Holmes    -- Canada/ Sussex/Essex
Larsen, Larson/Christiansen -- Grue Hedmark Norway, USA, Canada
Kleppe / Kleppi  ---- Kvikne Norway, USA, Canada
Delaney(Delainey) ---- Ireland, USA Canada
McSorley(MacSorley) ---- Ireland, Ontario Canada
Craddock, Kaig, Todd, Flemming---- Ayrshire Scotland,  County Down Ireland