Author Topic: Photoshop CS6  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Photoshop CS6
« on: Monday 01 April 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting CS6 before my educational discount expires with retirement!  I would like to hear any views on it. I currently work with CS3 and CS2 (and PSP XI at times) so would like to know what it offers over these. I gather that at least one restorer has got it  :)

Thanks

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Photoshop CS6
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
I have got Photoshop 5.5 and really delighted as there is so much more than CS3/CS2.

I have no plans to move to CS6 firstly because of cost but a lot of my friends are having problems getting any extra plugins to work with it.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Thanks for that. You don't happen to know which plugins don't work?

Gadget

Added - for some comparisons  http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshopextended/buying-guide-version-comparison.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget ...  If I'm the one that you know has CS 6 ...I think I've probably mentioned that I love it. I have CS2 to compare it with ...and not 5  that Sarah has ...  I'm still finding out all the different refinements that are available with CS 6...One of the best is the selection processes... just so so much better and quicker and more accurate than any previous methods available. To be honest... I think that you will just love it ...the accuracy with which one can work makes going back to CS2 feel like one was holding a fine sable  paint brush whilst wearing boxing gloves ... ;D
Poll
Added .... Sarah Do they have erodible  brushes in CS 5?  I have found them invaluable as the behave just like a sharp soft pencil if you want ...wearing away as you use it...and you can resharpen at the touch of a button ..The other great thing about  CS 6( IS IT ON CS5?)  are the number of air brushes ... just fabulous for blending .
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Poll

Thanks for your comments. Yes you were the one  ;D The link I posted seems to suggest that only CS6 has erodables!    Do you know which plugins cause problems?

Gadget

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
In CS5.5 we have air brushes but no erodible brushes.

Just got an email back from my pal, this is what he said...

Unfortunately the old filters only worked on 32bit machines and some would not work with later versions of photoshop. I have a pc running xp which has ps 3 on it that I use in my workshop.  The other filter was a framing filter-photoframe, which will not work on the later versions, though now it is part of on-one software.

On my main pc I have 32bit and 64 bit versions of ps 6. Obviously none of the old filters will work on the 64bit version but some do on the 32bit version.

I also have on it 32bit versions of ps 3 and 5 on which some of the filters work. The easiest way of organising your filters is to install them in separate folders for 32bit and 64 bit ones, instead of installing into the plugins folder in ps. You just then point that particular version of ps ( in preferances)to the required folder. This saves having to reinstall them all over again when you upgrade ps.

Sarah  :)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah  :)

All the filters that I have work on Win7 and XP with CS3  - but not sure if that's just compatibility mode in Win7 - I try to avoid too much techie detail  ;D ;D ;D

I tend to use Canvas size, etc. and make my own frames rather than a plugin or I transfer the file to PSP which has a few nice frames.

Gadget

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah ....both my pc and laptop  are 64 bit  machines so that's quite interesting . I don't use many plug ins either though I shall look at some more in future..I haven't used any with CS6  yet ...still ploughing through loads of tutorials and generally playing with it to experiment  The erodibles, I love ...as I can use the pressure sensitivity of the stylus on a tablet to virtually emulate a medium I am most at home with ... a soft  pencil!   

Sarah ... on CS 5  is there  a group of gradients available called neutral density gradients ? They're not in CS2   but I find them very useful in both my photography and in restores ..There are also so about 25 - 39  photographic tonal gradients that weren't in my old version. I don't think you'll be disappointed  Gadget ....it actually reduces the time you spend too doing some of the intricate work that took so long before ..so better on the eyes ....for me anyway.   
Poll :)
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople