Author Topic: David Cunningham married Margaret Thomson  (Read 12636 times)

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: David Cunningham married Margaret Thomson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've ahad a look at my notes and I'm afraid I don't have any details of David Cunningham and Margaret Thomson at all.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline cunninghamj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, Rockford,
Thank you very much for taking the time to check and come back to me. It is a bit of a puzzle but I will pick up a clue somewhere. I am going back into my Mother-in- Law's line. She was also a Cunningham, from the same areas as mine, so I might find a connection there.
I was interested to see you that look into the Logie family. My g.grandmother was Agnes Logie (1827-1898) and her mother was Janet Whitelaw (1796- 1978). I am checking her line too and got her father Robert (b. 1755 in Whitburn) and his father, William. That is as far as I can go and I wonder if that is also one of your search lines?
With kind regards,
cunninghamj

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It would seem that we are cousins of some description  ;D

My connection to the Logies is via Agnes Logie's older sister Margaret (c1817 - 1892), who was my 3 x great grandmother.  Margaret married Alexander Dunlop (1815 - 1888) around 1839.  I grew up less than a mile from where they all lived.

The Logies and the Cunninghams seem to have been connected over a couple of generations, as I'm sure you know. 

My 2 x great grandmother was Mary Dunlop (1854 - 1942), the daughter of Alexander Dunlop and Margaret Logie.  Although Mary married John Thomson (1846 - 1904), I can't see a connection to your Thomsons as John was born in Torphichen to John Thomson and Helen McPhail.  John senior was originally from Polmont and Helen was from Stirling. John snr and John jnr were both Coal Miners.

In relation to the Logie ancestry, I don't have much more than you do.   I have Agnes and Margaret's parents as John Logie (c1785 - 1865) and Janet Whitelaw (c1795 - 1878).  From the 1861 census, I believe John may have been born in Ferniehirst(?), Edinburgh and was a Cotton Weaver.  His parents from his death certificate were Thomas Logie, Corkcutter and Janet Heughs (Hughes?), for whom the only matching marriage I can find is in 1781 in Troqueer, Kirkcudbright, although I'm not sure if this is correct as the geography of Troqueer to Ferniehirst to Whitburn/Blackburn seems a bit much for the time.  I have no other details about them.  Regarding John's wife Janet Whitelaw, I have her parents as Robert Whit(e)law and Margaret Miller or Millar, who I believe were married on 3 June 1792 in Whitburn.  I have no more details about them and hadn't made the connection to Robert's birth in 1755 or his father, William.

I have information on a few of the children of John Logie and Janet Whitelaw, particularly the family of their son John Whitelaw Logie and would be happy to share this with you if you don't have this already.  I'll send you my email address by PM.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline cunninghamj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This is very good; thank you. I am trying to absorb it and will go through my records. It seems we grew up in the same area.
My email server is playing up a lot today so I will give it a rest to let them get their act together and we can take it from their.
Once again, many thanks.

Best wishes
cunninghamj

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 January 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post now raised here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=675358.msg5202995#msg5202995

Topic locked , please reply on this post.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 January 14 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cunninghamj,

Go to ScotlandPeoples website, http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Put in Aitken in surname, Henry in forename, and 1855 in both date fields there is only 1 result. Cost you 6 credits to get certificate, but £7 to get 30 credits.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline cunninghamj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 January 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Tom,
I will go for this. I keep feeling that this chap moved away but it is strange that I find no census reference to him. At least I should find his birth somewhere. I have just topped up my credits so off we go.
John Cunningham