Author Topic: Francis Walker  (Read 5443 times)

Offline crtwrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Walker
« on: Tuesday 02 April 13 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi  I am trying to find the birth and death of Francis Walker who married a Sarah Spencer on the 29th June 1760 by Banns in Wales, Yorkshire, England.  Francis Walker’s occupation  was a Labourer. They had at least 8 children all born in Wales,Yorkshire. Sarah died on 23rd August 1807 a Widow.
Many Thanks fo any help
cartwright,foulkes,pierce,ames,gaines,jones,knowles,wood,davies,roberts,evans. edwards, jennings ,king  Flintshire,Denbighshire,Wales,Cheshire,Lancashire,Yorkshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk,Dorset England
cartwright,ryan,townsend,williams,heather,bruno,larpenter,lannan,carril.New York,Suffolk County,Long Island,Colorado,USA,Ontario,Toronto,Canada.
Burdon And Bolam,Durham and Northumberland

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Walker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
Wales Yorkshire?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
Wales is a village in what is now known as South Yorkshire, but was previously West Yorkshire. It's close to Derbyshire and is now next to the M1.

The parish records for that area are being digitised and will go online via FindMy Past but they're not up yet.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
Wales Yorkshire?

I thought the same, Liz! ;D
So I looked it up on GenUKI:

WALES, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of St. Peter; 7 miles from Worksop, (Notts.) 7½ miles S. of Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield, 55 from York. Pop. 277.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
We learn something new every day!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 15:24 BST (UK) »
We learn something new every day!

That's part of the fun in using RootsChat! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline crtwrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your replies, yes I had the same reaction when I started researching my paternal grandparents line and also being a Welshman living in North Wales. Wales is a village and civil parish in the District of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. It is on the border of South Yorkshire and Derbyshire. The civil parish of Wales, encompasses the village of Wales and neighbouring settlement of Kiveton Park and is on the opposite side of the Chesterfield Canal from Killamarsh. A lot of my Walker family resided in Waleswood,Treeton,Wales and Harthill areas of South Yorkshire from at least around 1750 to 1860 before moving a mile or so over the border to Killamarsh in Derbyshire around 1860. I have come to a brickwall in trying to identify the birth of the correct Francis Walker, however his wife Sarah Spencer was Christened on the 7th November 1742 in the Parish of Wales, Yorkshire.
 I am assuming Francis Walker was born and resided somewhere else,possibly a neighbouring parish.
  Any help is always most appreciated.
 Many Thanks for your interest.
cartwright,foulkes,pierce,ames,gaines,jones,knowles,wood,davies,roberts,evans. edwards, jennings ,king  Flintshire,Denbighshire,Wales,Cheshire,Lancashire,Yorkshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk,Dorset England
cartwright,ryan,townsend,williams,heather,bruno,larpenter,lannan,carril.New York,Suffolk County,Long Island,Colorado,USA,Ontario,Toronto,Canada.
Burdon And Bolam,Durham and Northumberland

Offline m1i9k5e6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
Francis Walker was baptised in Wales on 22 January 1723 the son of Francis Walker and Sarah Bradshaw...looks like you and I are distant cousins!  Cheers, Mike

Offline m1i9k5e6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify a previous post, Wales was in the West Riding - West Yorkshire  is a modern county around Leeds and Bradford.  Wales is now part of South Yorkshire.