Author Topic: Nixon family Ireland-Philadelphia  (Read 3496 times)

Offline bowlzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nixon family Ireland-Philadelphia
« on: Tuesday 02 April 13 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if I could possibly get some help tracing these Nixons. I am unable to find any links. The only information I have is;
Mary Jane Nixon Born approx 1845 Ireland she is apparently a dressmaker/seamstress
She went to America and Married a William Jamison also from Ireland (can't find him either b-1835) on 15th of May 1875 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In the 1880 census of that area they had with them a son 5 months old name William James Jamison, and three others all who originate from Ireland;
a George Nixon born approx 1859 and is a Shirtcutter
Margaret Nixon born approx 1863 and is a Dressmaker
Sarah Nixon born approx  1857 and is also a Dressmaker.
I am unable to determine is the nixon's are siblings to mary or cousins.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please move this tot he appropriate area administrator if I have placed it incorrectly. Thank you

Kind Regards
Kylie Bowles

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nixon family Ireland-Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
Did the marriage cert for William and Mary Jane mention any details of their parents ?

Also worth chasing up death certs for them to see if these have useful clues.

William and Mary Jane were both born well before the start of civil records, so you would need to search for church records for their baptisms. You usually require a detailed location to do this - i.e. the name of the town, townland or parish they lived. It would be worth trying to trace William, Mary Jane and the other Nixons you mentioned in later US records to see if there are any clues to their place of origin in Ireland.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 08:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the forum Kylie and good luck.
The marriage entry in Anx doesn't mention any rellies.
It took place at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church.

Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline bowlzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both very much, I am currently going through the suggestions made by shanew147 which are yet to be fruitful, but still many more records to search through!! Helps to have expertise teaching me how to do these things :) Thankyou Tina that info will be very valuable ;)

Kind Regards,
Kylie Bowles

Offline joanscottallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie
I have extensive information on Nixons from Castlewarren, Co.Tyrone .  Do you have any more information on your Nixons? 
The family in question had parents (who remained in Ireland), John and Martha.  Their children, with birth years,  were Mary Jane 1846, Catherine 1848, James and William 1850 twins, Sarah Anne 1852, John 1853, Thomas 1855, Robert 1857, George 1859 and Matilda 1861.  Robert died in 1866, aged 9. I know William stayed in Ireland, and took over the family farm.  John  also stayed in Ireland, he lived and worked in Derry.  I think Thomas and George emigrated around 1888.  Matilda may have been known as Martha.
Does this match any of your research?
Kind regards,
Joan Allen. 

Offline joanscottallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 April 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again Kylie-
Since posting a reply over a year ago I have been in contact with Nixons in Australia,  descendants of a John Nixon, who was a son of William Nixon, this William was a brother of your Mary Jane. I am also a Nixon descendant.  Have you done a DNA test?
Also, I believe that your William Jamison came from the house just next door to the Nixons. 
You can see church records for both of these families in the web site for Bready Ancestors. Look for the records for Donagheady Church.
If you are interested I can send you Google images of the Nixon and Jamison homes.
Hope this is helpful.

Kindest regards,
Joan Allen.

Offline bowlzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 April 19 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Joan,

I apologise for not getting in touch sooner. I have never received notifications from roots chat that I had a post reply, not even last year. I just happened to getting back into the family tree. I am chasing up the leads you have posted, it does look very promising though.

I would certainly love any additional information that you would be able to share with me. My grandmother who is in her mid 80's really wants me to find more out about this line of her family. Her side has been proving very elusive, the Nixon's, Jamisons and her other line the Fox's and Ivory's. Would love to be able to show her more info on any of them.

Thank you very much for your research so far, I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Kylie Bowles
Victoria, Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 April 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
I have never received notifications from roots chat that I had a post reply, not even last year.

Does Rootschat have your current email address? (many people forget to update when they get a new email address)
Do you have notifications for replies turned on?
Sometimes emails get put into junk folder mail then disappear before you even know they had come in!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bowlzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 April 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
Yes it was, and still is the same email address. I have no idea where they went. It was only that a google search doing my family tree came up and I saw the info in the response on google.

I am in another forum and it only sends me emails if I have recently logged in and not when I get a reply.

Not to worry I am on to it now! :)